ATA66 Drives Disconnect?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Mar 12, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Well as tried I have found out that the loose IDE cable must of been the cause to Leopard KPing. After reseating the IDE cable on the ATA100 bus I booted leopard last night and ran it all night long... No KP. Woke up this morning and put the computer to sleep. Woke it up now to test it STILL no KPs or lockups however now the 2 HDDs on the ATA66 bus have disconnected (as if unplugging a USB Stick without ejecting it 1st). What is the cause of this?

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Age... Just out of a curiosity, what happens if you grab a new(ish) IDE cable and use it instead

3. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

have no problems with Tiger that's on a HDD on the ATA66 bus

4. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

May be saving energy by shutting off the other disks since you aren't using them. Since tiger is on one of them, when your using Tiger, the bus will stay active. I'm not too sure if I'm right about this, but just a thought.

5. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I do believe that i have disabled the "Turn off Disks" on the MDD but i'll look into that if i can actually GET the damn thing to see the Leopard HDD.

6. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I'm actually having an issue with mine as well. I have 4 hard drives connected. The first IDE plug with the ATA100 or whatever is boot and main, then I have 3 other hard drives (40 for boot, 3 other 20 GB HDDs). The first time I booted it after installing, I had everything connected and it kernel panicked. I then disconnected the second ATA100 drive, which fixed it. How did you fix your issue with that?

7. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

My IDE KP issue seemed to of been caused by the IDE cable being loose where it plugs into the motherboard. I have my main 160GB SATA Leopard drive (on a SATA to IDE converter) connected to the ATA100 bus (the back cage behind the optical bay near CPU) and I have Tiger on a 40GB HDD in the ATA66 bus. I plan to downgrade the firmware so i can run OS 9 though