ATD + 17" MBP Cooling Solution

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ceryb, May 19, 2013.

1. ceryb macrumors newbie

Hello. I have an ATD plugged into my late 2011 17" MBP and I've noticed that the MBP's temperature readings have gone up significantly, even while the MBP is not in clamshell mode. The temperatures haven't reached quite near the level to melt the CPU but I'm seeing much higher averages than when the MBP is solo.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cooling solution? The MBP is currently just laying on a desk next to the TBD open with the screen dimmed.

I've seen some "stands" that just raise the MBP off of the surface on an angle but I don't see how lifting the MBP a few inches into the air would result in a significant reduction in heat.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

People will argue over whether high temperatures affect the operation of your laptop (they don't, as it is engineered to withstand high temperatures and shut down automatically when the temperature is too high).

Regardless, I don't like my laptop to get hot, and I find that laptop fans of this kind significantly reduce the temperature of the laptop, especially when in clamshell mode. The fan also doubles as a stand, so you can use the laptop on your lap more comfortably.

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-AWE80US-Saving-Laptops-17-Inch/dp/B0084V5FOI/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

3. nREMfan macrumors member

I have the 2.3 2011 17" and noticed the same thing with the TBD. My temps averaged 5-10 degrees higher when connected to it vs. my IPS Display at work. It is connected via mini display port.

I eventually took the TDB back due to this.

4. thedeske macrumors 6502a

There's Cold Moving Air & everything that fakes it, like stands with no fans. Stands with USB or Powered fans get less than half the job done.

If you want a portable to run cool while pushing well above the GP in comfort zone, there is no real solution other than the real thing - cold air

This is not rocket science . The people who sell chunks of tilting plastic know this. They don't care about you ;)