ATH-M50X - horn players using for tracking/mixing?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by jazzer15, Jan 1, 2015.

1. jazzer15 macrumors 6502

These cans have gotten a lot of good reviews, but most of what I see are from people who are using them primarily for listening purposes. I was wondering if some people here are using them as home studio phones for tracking while recording themselves and for mixing. I am a hobbyist and will be using them for recording saxophone. Of course I may use them for listening also on occasion, but that would not be their main purpose.

I am also curious how they might compare to the Sony 7506 (which seem to be the standard) and to the Sennheiser HD 280 in terms of sound and comfort.

2. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

I don't own any but have listened to them before and they are probably not the best choice for production as they are slightly bass heavy and don't have a flat response, but some people can't work with flat headphones and like a bit of bottom end its personal choice I think.

3. jenre macrumors member

I bought a pair of these recently, actually. The bass is definitely a little strong, but as long as you're aware of that you can EQ to minimise that if you feel the need. I don't think it would really be a major issue for tracking though, only really if you were using them to mix (which I wouldn't recommend anyway).

They are very comfortable to wear too!

4. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

I use the previous model ATH M50 (hard-wired coiled cord, same audio specs) for recording and mixing (and listening). These headphones are designed for studio production. Excellent sound.

5. jazzer15 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the responses. I think it is down to the M50x or the Sony 7506 (which really are probably more on par with the M40x) but am leaning toward the former. From what I have read the 7506 is flatter, but I recall listening to a pair a couple of years ago in a music store and thinking they were overly bright. I would have to listen to them again.

I went to sonicsense.com and listened to their headphone comparison demo samples. If the comparisons really are representative, to my ear and in the price range I am looking (around $100 - $150 or so) I prefer the M50x.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

A few things you might care about that music listeners don't....

If you are tracking a sax, is there any bass? I don't play sax and don't know its range but bass response of the headphones might be moot. I know my guitar only goes down to 80Hz on the open low E string so I don't need speakers that can do 60z.

One other thing you care about a LOT with tracking headphones is leaking sound. Can the sound from the head phone get into the microphone? People just listening to recored music don't care so much about isolation.

Lastly, these will not be the last headphones you buy.

7. jazzer15 thread starter macrumors 6502

Allmar, thanks. What do you record?

Chris, you are right. Hopefully not for a while yet ;-)

8. roberthallin macrumors member

+1

I've had mine for around three years now, and I'm very happy with them. I use them alongside Yamaha HS-50's that I've set to imitate NS10's, using M50 for tracking and sketching out my mixes when the neighbours sleep, then finalizing on the monitors. It's always a little surprising how well my mixes on the HS-50's translate to the headphones, but not vice versa.. But that goes for all the headphones I've used :)

9. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

10. jazzer15 thread starter macrumors 6502

11. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

12. transmitterrus macrumors newbie

transmitterrus

Digital Audio

Nice post. This is truly effective information for us. we also deal in the same field for more information check us at http://bit.ly/1KZo6l.