Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
California
Can anyone give me more information from on the Atheros card on the MBP? What are the difference between that and what the ibook and PB G4 have?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Does the MBP use Atheros? I thought they used a Intel wireless card?

The older AE cards are based on Broadcom chipsets, that's all I know about them.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
my MB uses an atheros card.

it's nice to see apples head is not firmly lodged in intels anus.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
generik said:
Does the MBP use Atheros? I thought they used a Intel wireless card?

The older AE cards are based on Broadcom chipsets, that's all I know about them.

Atheros AR 5006V Wireless Network Adapter. ;)

By the way, I'm glad they don't use Intel cards, the Intel Pro/Wireless sucked. :mad:

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2005
California
benthewraith said:

By the way, I'm glad they don't use Intel cards, the Intel Pro/Wireless sucked. :mad:

Thank you. What is so bad with the intel wireless I have heard good things about them.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
benthewraith said:

They are actually some of the best NICs out there.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Pressure said:
They are actually some of the best NICs out there.

I have had many issues with the Intel Pro/Wireless. My main issue with the card was the issues with Power scrolling. Despite the fact that I disable Powerscrolling, it still lowers the card's power anyways. Also, having three, four applications on your computer for Wireless is also annoying (winzeroconfig.exe, Dell Quicket wifi networking, and intel pro/wireless software).

I've also had to replace the card twice.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yes, it is sort of amazing that they would switch from Broadcom to Atheros -- and avoid the Intel trap.

But, it may have been for more than the current line of cards, and what is going to be offered next.

Atheros may have been that much further ahead than Broadcom on the next chipset.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
On another note, it's rumored that the next Centrino platform (With Intel Core 2), will have an 802.11abgn card.

Does Apple have any plans on creating an Airport Extreme abgn card?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
benthewraith said:
Does Apple have any plans on creating an Airport Extreme abgn card?
Likely, Broadcom looked like they were real close to production.

But the switch to Atheros, and their more interesting solution may have been one of the reasons for the switch.

Likely Airport Extreme 2 is around the bend, don't know when Lenovo is planning on shipping their Atheros XSPAN 802.11n machines -- but with their more public news strategies they may be a sign of how close Apple is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.