ATI 2600 + 30"ACD + google earth

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by babboxy, Jan 26, 2008.

1. babboxy macrumors member

I've just dicovered that with the standard ATI2600 card and 30"ACD display GOOGLE EARTH at full screen is pretty much unusable ... the more I downsize the window the better it gets ... but that's obviously not what I got this 30" thing for:mad:

can I assume that this problem will ENTIRELY dissapear as soon as I get the 8800GT?!

2. babboxy thread starter macrumors member

great!

great! ...so if I buy the quadro I will be able to run the window double size then what my screen is :p

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

From my experience with this card in the new Mac Pro it sucks. Can't wait until I get the 8800

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Frankly, the later builds of Google Earth under OS X are horrible. The Windows counterpart on the same hardware is far smoother.

5. conancn macrumors member

Could you say more, don't understand what you mean. The new MP just released for weeks.:confused:

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ya..I personally think the video card that comes stock in the new Mac Pro sucks.

That would be the ATI Radeon HD 2600 w/256MB of VRam.

7. babboxy thread starter macrumors member

i think if it can't handle google earth "it sucks" is the right term ... unless it's a google-mac-version problem.

just wanted to try Nasa World Wind but I see that that's windows only ... Nasa sucks too :p

8. OneArmedScissor macrumors member

you should get the Quadro 5600. i hear they are great for google earth.

haha

9. conancn macrumors member

wow, when the word "think" is an experience? my English sucks i know.

OP, could you post a print screen? Thanks!

10. echoout macrumors 6502a

What is it doing exactly? Mine works fine on my 23" ACD driven by my 2 year old MacBook Pro. No resolution lost that I can see. Is your video card worse than my old Radeon X1600 mobile?

11. babboxy thread starter macrumors member

the problem is not with resolution... it's when you move/zoom around fast... if you stop scrolling/zooming it just goes on and on...way beyond of where you wanted to stop. As I said, the smaller I make the window the better it gets... when I reach about 1/4 of the screen It starts to display fluid motion.

12. jemo07 macrumors regular

:eek: I jut ran some test on the 30" ACD (Aperture and CS3) and there where some serious slowdowns in the system when opening a large TIFF (1.5GB).

This was not the case when doing the same test on a 23" ACD. Having to refresh the 30" at full resolution will slow you down on the ATI 2600xt, that is for sure.

Funny things is that have a 7300 (slower on paper) and it handles these files quite well with dual 23" ACDs :confused:

It could be a driver? Or bad card?

BTW, some people might not realize that G-Earth is a professional App... someone could be using it to earn a living. I know it's funny at first, but it is a legitimate question been asked... :).

Anyone out there with dual monitors and a 2600, or should I say a new '08 MP?

13. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I'm willing to bet that you'll have the exact same problem as before, because I've used GE with two different graphics cards and had the exact same problems.

14. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

am running 2600 on 30" ACD and 1080p LCD TV, and i find the card is adequate and does its job... but i can see the 8800 is going to improve a lot of situations for sure.. the 2600 seems to be the weakest link at the moment when you consider the rest of the components!

ran Crysis on the 30", i was lucky to run it 1440 at medium settings!! :p

15. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Out of curiousity, what do you use Google Earth for? ;)

16. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

to see if your neighbor's pool is bigger then yours :p

17. babboxy thread starter macrumors member

I use it to test video cards that suck

18. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

That was really funny I liked that one!

19. babboxy thread starter macrumors member

:p hehe looks like the graphic card is not so bad after all... I've installed XP and google earth runs much smother under bootcamp/XP :p