Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babboxy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
I've just dicovered that with the standard ATI2600 card and 30"ACD display GOOGLE EARTH at full screen is pretty much unusable ... the more I downsize the window the better it gets ... but that's obviously not what I got this 30" thing for:mad:

can I assume that this problem will ENTIRELY dissapear as soon as I get the 8800GT?!

babboxy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
great!

great! ...so if I buy the quadro I will be able to run the window double size then what my screen is :p

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Frankly, the later builds of Google Earth under OS X are horrible. The Windows counterpart on the same hardware is far smoother.

babboxy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Ya..I personally think the video card that comes stock in the new Mac Pro sucks.

That would be the ATI Radeon HD 2600 w/256MB of VRam.

i think if it can't handle google earth "it sucks" is the right term ... unless it's a google-mac-version problem.

just wanted to try Nasa World Wind but I see that that's windows only ... Nasa sucks too :p

conancn

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2005
Ya..I personally think the video card that comes stock in the new Mac Pro sucks.

That would be the ATI Radeon HD 2600 w/256MB of VRam.

wow, when the word "think" is an experience? my English sucks i know.

OP, could you post a print screen? Thanks!

echoout

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Austin, Texas
What is it doing exactly? Mine works fine on my 23" ACD driven by my 2 year old MacBook Pro. No resolution lost that I can see. Is your video card worse than my old Radeon X1600 mobile?

babboxy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
What is it doing exactly? Mine works fine on my 23" ACD driven by my 2 year old MacBook Pro. No resolution lost that I can see. Is your video card worse than my old Radeon X1600 mobile?

the problem is not with resolution... it's when you move/zoom around fast... if you stop scrolling/zooming it just goes on and on...way beyond of where you wanted to stop. As I said, the smaller I make the window the better it gets... when I reach about 1/4 of the screen It starts to display fluid motion.

jemo07

macrumors regular
May 6, 2006
Madrid, Spain
:eek: I jut ran some test on the 30" ACD (Aperture and CS3) and there where some serious slowdowns in the system when opening a large TIFF (1.5GB).

This was not the case when doing the same test on a 23" ACD. Having to refresh the 30" at full resolution will slow you down on the ATI 2600xt, that is for sure.

Funny things is that have a 7300 (slower on paper) and it handles these files quite well with dual 23" ACDs :confused:

It could be a driver? Or bad card?

BTW, some people might not realize that G-Earth is a professional App... someone could be using it to earn a living. I know it's funny at first, but it is a legitimate question been asked... :).

Anyone out there with dual monitors and a 2600, or should I say a new '08 MP?

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I'm willing to bet that you'll have the exact same problem as before, because I've used GE with two different graphics cards and had the exact same problems.

Trishul

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Sarasota, FL
am running 2600 on 30" ACD and 1080p LCD TV, and i find the card is adequate and does its job... but i can see the 8800 is going to improve a lot of situations for sure.. the 2600 seems to be the weakest link at the moment when you consider the rest of the components!

ran Crysis on the 30", i was lucky to run it 1440 at medium settings!! :p

mojopixel

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2007
Somewhere in Time
I've just dicovered that with the standard ATI2600 card and 30"ACD display GOOGLE EARTH at full screen is pretty much unusable ... the more I downsize the window the better it gets ... but that's obviously not what I got this 30" thing for:mad:

can I assume that this problem will ENTIRELY dissapear as soon as I get the 8800GT?!

Out of curiousity, what do you use Google Earth for? ;)

babboxy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
:p hehe looks like the graphic card is not so bad after all... I've installed XP and google earth runs much smother under bootcamp/XP :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.