ATI 2600 - any good with Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Hemulen, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Hemulen macrumors newbie

Hello - this will probably be very over-simplistic but I'm pretty new to all this so please try to bear that in mind.

I'm going to buy a Mac Pro very soon and I've been reading a lot about the relative merits of the 2600 and 8800 graphics cards. (I don't want to wait for another card to come along really - I want to choose from these two).

So far as I can ascertain, speaking very generally and concerning the situation as it is at the moment, the 2600 is better with Leopard and the 8800 is better on Windows XP. Is that about right?

Thing is, I want to use both Leopard (whichever version comes with a new mac at the moment - 10.5.2 or 10.5.3 I imagine) and Windows XP - Bootcamp - NOT Parallels or similar.

I am not at all interested in games. Music is my primary interest although I am also keen to tinker with Final Cut and Motion - I have Final Cut Studio 1.x, but haven't used it much.

On Leopard I'd be wanting to use Logic Pro, Cubase SX, Final Cut, Motion, and Soundtrack Pro with the emphasis on Logic. But I don't want to cut myself too short to use Motion especially, which I'm worried that choosing the 2600 might do.

(I appreciate that the specific areas of use for each program are relevant here. I suppose that I might sum up my requirements as being those of an amateur who wants to get to a level of moderate competance on Motion and F.C. without too much frustration waiting for ages for things to happen, or finding that my hardware in totally lacking. Vague, I know, but it'll have to do for now.)

On Windows I want to use sample editing software such as Sound Forge and Recycle and some rather outdated but useful things like utilities for Akai hardware originally produced in 2001/2 or thereabouts. I'd also like to be able to use Cubase SX with XP as well as OSX. And MS Access. Nothing too demanding, I would think.

Having read around quite a lot, it seems that a lot of people are finding the 8800 and OSX combination to be problematic as things stand. I think that the 2600 would probably satisfy my requirements on the OSX side (Motion??) but how would it be with Windows XP (Bootcamp)? I know it's considered inferior to the 8800 by some, on XP, but do you think it would be alright for me? No games, remember! Stability and predicatability are probably more useful than blazing performance, you might say.

I'd really very much appreciate your thoughts on this one and I thank you for reading this far.

Thanks a lot.

'bye.

2. echoout macrumors 6502a

Mine works great for what you're talking about, plus higher-end usage.

3. Hemulen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mate -

Does no-one else have an opinion? 2600 on XP - good, bad, or indifferent?

Thanks again.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

It's more than enough for what your wanting.

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I have one in my iMac and it works fine in XP.

6. Hemulen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot to all those who answered (or nearly did!). That was very helpful. I'm going with the 2600 and saving the extra dosh for a bit of fast living.

Thanks again.