ATI 2600 artifacts during boot of Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chakosticks, May 14, 2008.

1. chakosticks macrumors member

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this so I can write it off as "normal" and move on.

Refurb 2.8 8-core, stock configuration + Airport Extreme card
    Display one: Samsung 204T via DVI
    Display two: AG neovo M-15 via Apple DVI-VGA adapter

During start-up, some artifacts appear on the upper left corner of my Samsung display...basically rows of lines, maybe 4 inches of them vertically that stretch about 2-3 inches horizontally each (like a multi-pronged fork or hair pick through wet sand for a mental image). Upon boot, only the Samsung is running, then the artifacts happen for a second or two, then the display goes dark and then both displays come up without further incident. Haven't noticed any problems during regular use, which has been 4 days worth.

Didn't have this sort of thing on my Sawtooth G4 using the same displays hooked up to a flashed ATI 9200 AGP, so I feel safe in saying it isn't the displays or cables...and both cables are securely connected. Also, with the G4 the displays both came on together and didn't go dark/come on again.

Thoughts, comments and observations appreciated!

2. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Weird. Usually artifacting is due to overheating memory due to how it corrupts the integrity of the data.

The only thing I can think of is maybe your fans aren't going on enough to cool them, but that doesn't really seem right at all. If you can find a way to permanently underclock the RAM on the hardware level (which you can of course undo), you might try that. I know how to do it with Rage 128s through X1900s (there's a program for it, but I think it's PPC-only, and doesn't support past the 1900).

Usually though, artifacting affects the whole screen, or large portions of it. So it's probably something else. .