ATi 2600 vs My ole Geforce FX5200 and

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by seemars, Jan 12, 2008.

1. seemars macrumors newbie

Im bout to upgrade to the new Mac Pro from my old PC. I am waiting till Macworld is over to do so. Just to wet my curiosity, I wondered the level of magnitude this upgrade is. Im going form a

Pentium 4 3.0ghz w/ NVidia Geforce FX5200 and 2GB of 400mhz ram to the new base model Mac Pro.

I will mostly be editing together video in Final Cut.

What kind of improvements should i see? Is this gonna be like 4 times as fast, or like 7 million times as fast?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4 times as fast if not more sounds good to me. It'd be a major pain trying to find someone that did a direct benchmark of the two video cards.

The nVidia FX series was a rather bad line of cards as well.

3. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

How about the iMac's 2600XT vs that nVidia Geforce5200? I had the same card in my old sony vaio 3.2ghz pentium 4, 1GB ram at XP media center edition.

I now have the 24" 2.8 C2E imac.

And how much more would I be able to bump up the graphics settings in FSX? immensely? I am willing to run this under XP pro bootcamp.

4. ZachPruckowski macrumors member

You're probably running at low-resolution with lowest settings. The FX5200 is about 3 generations of graphics cards behind. The X2600XT is a mid-range card and not a particularly awe-inspiring one, but just about anything recent will beat a FX5200. I'd guess you'd can play with medium-high quality settings. I looked at a benchmark, and apparently you'll have a hard time hitting 30 fps in Ultra quality settings. This was at 1024x768, so I don't know how you'll do if you run it at 1920x1200. The other factor is CPU - FSX is CPU-intensive, and you made a major jump, which'll help no doubt.