ATI 2600HD Moos in OSX but not Vista...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wheezy, Nov 30, 2008.

1. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I'd had my early 08 MP for a few months now and finally decided to install Vista on it to give it some experimental running as well as maybe get into gaming more. I've been fiddling around for about 10 minutes now when I realized how much quieter it seems to be.

It's because my ATI isn't 'mooing' the fan faster and slower. I've wondered if I had a defective card but now I don't know anymore. I'm pretty sure my OS X driver is current so... how do I make the mooing go away in OS X? This thing is amazingly quiet right now! I love it!

I know noisy ATI cards seem to be an issue here, but if the card isn't defective, what do I do?

2. wheezy thread starter macrumors 65816

wheezy

Well... in case anyone searching these threads needs an answer here is what I did. I called AppleCare and they overnighted me a new ATI Card and it works perfect, no more mooing, so it is specific to bad cards not the OS driver itself like I was fearing.

I had to do a little pushing to have them send the card, at first they wanted me to lug it to an Apple Store but I just refused; I knew it was the card fan as I watched it speed up and slow down, and then the store is 40 minutes away and a 5 minute walk to it with a 50lb dead weight. Did it once, not gonna do it again. So, just be pushy and they'll send you the card :)

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I've almost always had to talk to a different agent than the one I initially explained my problem to and practically beg for them to come and pick up Pro's from my house, as well as the faulty monitors on other occasions.

I can't believe why some people are still deluded about the 'quality' of Apple support - to everyone who is satisfied I am wondering what pile of crap paid-for support they had.

With the paid-for support for my Dell Precisions, I pick up the phone and the engineer is here the same day with the necessary parts being dropped off by courier before/when he arrives.

4. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Apple gave me a brand spankin new Mac Pro after my G5 died...and I was one month past my Applecare. :D Apple rocks! :apple: