Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mastersoft

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Hi,

I want to move ATI 2600XT from PCI-e 1 to PCI-e 2 to be more air for the video card because its HOT, and i want to know whats diference & performance is between this 2 slots.

THX in advance.

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2006
What Mac Pro model is it? the Mac Pro 1,1 has only one 16x slot (the bottom one) so if you move the card, it will be in an 8x slot. The 2008 and newer Pros have two 16x slots so you should be ok.

You might want to think about upgrading the cooling on that bad boy too, since a major problem with that card is running too hot. I've seen numerous people installing Zalman or Arctic Silver coolers on their X1900's with brilliant results.

Hope that helps.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
In theory, there shouldn't be a performance difference between Slots 1 and 2, since they're both PCIe 2.0 x16. That's assuming that you have the Early 2008 model that the 2600XT is standard in.

My 2600XT never seems to be hot enough to cause any fuss, even running graphics intensive apps. All graphics cards will be somewhat hot to the touch, if that's what you're worried about. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.