Ati 3870 Fan And Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by David Nights, Sep 6, 2009.

1. David Nights macrumors newbie

Every since i installed SL on my macpro 1,1, The fan on my 3870 has been going crazy, like full speed. I think its causing alot of heat which is causing the other fans to kick up to. Im thinking about just replacing it with a 4870 1gb flashed card but kinda don't want to. I just want the fan to act like it did in leopard. I tried to replace the kexts from Leopard which caused a lockout of my system. i had to put in my old 7300. Anyone has any fix's or idea's how to solve this problem? Kinda messed up apple wrote drivers that messed up my card.

2. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Regardless of the situation, you should toss the fan on the 3870 in the trash and put on an Accelero S1 rev. 2 passive cooling on. Its a big heat sink which works better than the fan. Your car will never get as hot as with the fan, and will produce basically ZERO amount of noise.

It costs about 25 bucks on ebay and about 5 bucks for the thermal paste. I've got mine in the mail and cannot wait to replace my fan. I'm glad too to know i'll have the accelero ready for snow leopard, but i can assure you its most likely a driver issue, and when it gets fixed, HOPEFULLY OpenCL will get implemented too. It better.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I've never seen a decent ATI heatsink fan, they're all w**k! :)

4. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Heatsink, or fan? Or a combo of both?

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Both!! But more fan.

For example, on their 4870x2, the fan (when utilized under heavy workload) sounds louder than a Quicksilver MDD!

6. irontony macrumors member

+1

I've done it to mine... never had enjoyed such peace and quiet until then.
    Just the heat sink... no additional fan

7. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

If you install SL from scratch and migrate apps and docs from a backup the fan issue should be gone.

My 3870 has an Akasa heat sink and fan and was louder with SL initially. It is now inaudible.

8. David Nights thread starter macrumors newbie

im think of buying a 4870 1 gb (flashed) and hooking it up with the Accelero S1 rev. 2...do i really need the fans...i kinda dont want them...or should i just do it with my 3870? i really would like the extra power, plus if toast ever uses opencl, that would be massive

9. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

*edit*

looks like the 4870 is compatible with the Accelero S1 rev. 2

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_&mID=105&language=en

10. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Which graphics card manufacturer tends to make the best ATI cards, coolerwise?

11. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

HIS has been pretty good in he past but Sapphire with the toxics were also quite good and some were passive.