Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sboerup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
So without wanting to wait anymore for the 4870, and the fact it lacks dual DVI really irritates me, I think I'll settle for 2nd best. What is the 2nd best GPU available for the MP?

I have an early 2008 2.8x8, want something that will work in OSX (both DVI dual-link possibly) and also be much better in Boot Camp than my 2600HD.

So, which is better . . . 3870 vs 8800gt? Or another?

(sorry if this has been posted recently, there was a question in a thread about 1 week ago but it was never answered)

sboerup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
OK, been reading up a little more, did some more searching and found some of the tests by barefeats.

It sounds like the 3870 is better for core-image applications inside OSX. My main applications: Photoshop, Lightroom and other graphics (vector). I'm a photographer/graphic designer that does no 3D work or Video. So to me, the benefits of 8800GT and 3D rendering really don't matter to me.

My second use would be gaming inside Windows (boot camp). So, the 8800GT seems to have the edge here. But, 2x3870 w/crossfire seems like it would blow away the 8800GT, am I correct?

The 4870 seems ideal, but $450 for an upgrade (including the $100 adapter) seems unpractical I guess . . .

Will Snow Leopard really take advantage of the GPU? This is the main reason for an upgrade from the 2600 and for future-proofing, I want the max performance when Snow Leopard comes around.

Any more thoughts are much appreciated!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Will Snow Leopard really take advantage of the GPU? This is the main reason for an upgrade from the 2600 and for future-proofing, I want the max performance when Snow Leopard comes around.

Any more thoughts are much appreciated!

Unless you need a new GPU now, consider waiting until SL comes out to see how much GPU acceleration it uses.

However, for what it's worth, I have an 8800GT and its working quite well running two displays (30" and 24"). Quiet and fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.