ATI 4850/4870 for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by belunos, Sep 18, 2008.

1. belunos macrumors member

Hi all, I wanted to start a thread to hold any info on these cards. This is regarding the announcement from that German (or was it French) site that stated that ATI was releasing Mac versions of these cards. I've not seen a single news item or forum thread about this since the news first broke. Last I heard ATI was close to release on these, but not a peep since.

So, if anyone comes across any new news on this, please think of us here and post it in this thread.

Thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I haven't seen any new news since the announcement either. :(

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's been mentioned on the forum before in a different thread. Not much info on the details (release date,...) yet though, IIRC. :(

But the basic specs can be drawn from the PC variants already out. Can help with planning physical set-up.

4. Heliconsoul macrumors member

Yeah I'm eagerly awaiting these too. A HD4870 is just what my Mac needs to make it the perfect all rounder :D

5. belunos thread starter macrumors member

A-men brother! I could put a win card in for games, but I'd rather keep it to a one slot solution

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm not terribly fond of single slot cards exhausting back into my computer.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Not my favorite method of venting either, but as the internal air is too hot to adequately cool the GPU without the fan speed so high it sounds like a jet engine, there really isn't a choice. :(

Perhaps belunos meant a single graphics card solution though. ;)

8. Og Oggilby macrumors regular

+1 :D

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Good thing the Mac Pro is divided into compartments in regards to airflow and cooling :)

10. belunos thread starter macrumors member

You're absolutely right.. I meant that I didn't want to use a card for windows and a different card for OS X. And back to the top with ye!

/edit: BTW, this thread is the top search result on google for '4870 for mac' :D

11. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

The new Adobe CS4 Suite which supports GPU acceleration could perhaps lead to a better graphics card choice for mac, if Apple wants Macs to be the best machines for creatives and layouters...

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

I also need a good single card solution that has good performance in both OS X and windows. //Grrr...// :p
    We can only hope. :rolleyes:
    Though Apple seems to be getting a little better, they still have a ways to go I think. ;)
    I'm in "wait and see" mode until the new Mac Pro releases. :eek:

13. toke lahti macrumors 68000

With that logic, Apple would also have included blu-ray support more than year ago and updated DVDSP after 2005...

14. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

My guess is that we won't see the 4870 available until next spring.

15. kabunaru Guest

And by then there will probably ATI Radeon HD 5870 in existence. Ouch. :eek:

16. diotav macrumors 6502

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's not happening at all! It was never going to happen; it was just a rumor.

18. diotav macrumors 6502

I know .. but Apple's CTO-cards are not state of the art anymore these days!

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Ho. Ly. Cow.

Well, that's the 4650 confirmed for the next Mac Pro, then!:D

Also, this is now added to my thread.

20. Og Oggilby macrumors regular

They never were. Apple is always a generation (or more) back when it comes to video cards. It is a shame.

21. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I have a strong feeling that the new cards are simultaneously released with the Nehalem Mac Pro.

22. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Sorry but I can't help it.

Holy thread resurrection, Batman! ;)

23. madboom macrumors newbie

Oh why Oh why must Apple continually torture us with sub-par graphics cards. I was so happy when I saw the original rumor of the 4850.

My guess is that they just couldn't cool it down enough for the Apple engineers to feel comfortable about putting it in the MP. Remember all the drama with the X1900's overheating, well the 4850's would have probably run hotter even with a nice cooler attached so it never came to pass.

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uh, isn't that the fault of the GPU manufacturer? Since Apple doesn't make the coolers for the cards?

And it's not the Mac Pro's fault, because the thing is dead freaking silent under normal use, and the fans can be cranked up to provide virtually all the cooling needed... It's the fault of the BOX around the GPU that restricts airflow to only be able to come from that one top fan...

25. madboom macrumors newbie

Sure it is partly ATI's fault for making a card that runs so hot in the first place.

I can't believe for a second though that Apple couldn't come up with a dual slot cooling solution capable of cooling down the 4850 enough, or for that matter the 1900 either. It all comes back to Apple's indifference toward keeping pace with graphics technology.

They get some of the blame even it the card happens to say NVIDIA or AMD/ATI on it because their infrequent graphics driver updates destroy any incentive that the card manufacturers have to crank out PCI-E cards for Apple machines. I guarantee you that if OS X took advantage of new chipsets as they emerged that we would already have long ago had 9 series, 4XXX series cards.

The stability of OS X excuse from Apple is starting to run thin and soon enough OSx86 is going to start cutting deeply into the Apple eco-system. Steve and his cronies might as well start giving us better upgrade options or the current rise in Mac market share will go crashing back down again soon enough.