ATI 4850 Crossfire - Windows. Not OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by swiss tony, Jun 25, 2008.

1. swiss tony macrumors newbie

Would this work?
    Obviously only under windows, i could find on google any macpros with CrossFire. Anyone here managed it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

As Crossfire isn't limited to any particular motherboard compared to SLI, it'll work. However, don't expect to be using either of them in OS X.

3. swiss tony thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I see. Why not just build yourself a PC then? It'd be cheaper... your money to spend, obviously, just doesn't make much sense to buy a Mac Pro just to run Windows all the time.

5. swiss tony thread starter macrumors newbie

well ive been doing my research, looking for a 8 core machine for rendering, turns out that mac sells the cheapest esp with a 20% educational discount, the machine is basicly a PC so thats why. Saves cash, expandable, better than skulltrail (buggy crud) looks ok comes with a warranty.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

How DARE you insult the cheese grater so?! :cool:

7. pyramid6 macrumors regular

Be sure to check the power requirements of your cards. I don't think you can put two 4870 into the Mac Pro. At least not with out pulling some more power from somewhere other than the motherboard. I know you are looking at the 4850s, but they may have the same issue, 160 watts.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Just feed directly from the power supply instead of the motherboard passthrough..

9. swiss tony thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll guess i'll try it out, i'm sure a server PSU can hack it. Ive always been confused by the 300w PCI comment, as it doesnt specificly mention the capacity of the pci-e connectors, they must run to specification, it seems that if a card has one connector that it could not exceed the spec for the Wattage that it could provide, and by that logic the mac pro mobo could not be underspecified. The 4870 requires 2 pci-e power points, so obviously the 4850 would be much better CrossFire, and is easier on the wallet.

I like the mac pro design except the handles, its certainly a step up from dell and most computer manufacturers designs. Alienware - dell - what are they thinking. Maybe just the architect in me talking!

I'm interested to see what happens with Xfire!

10. pyramid6 macrumors regular

Edit: sorry to hijack your thread I'll post else where.

11. swiss tony thread starter macrumors newbie

meh no worries good that these things are bought up, beats the 'ol mac v windows trolling!

12. themiracle macrumors regular

The Pro's power supply is 1000W if I recall, so you should be fine, power-wise.

13. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It's quite simple actually.

Every PCI-Express slot can supply 75 Watt of power. 4 x 75 = 300 Watt. That is the amount of power the Mac Pro can supply through the PCI-Express slots.

However, you are not limited (other than power supply specifications) when it comes from drawing power directly from the power supply with a power cable.

14. swiss tony thread starter macrumors newbie

lets face it the mac pro is a beast. It can take it

15. OMFG HAXX! macrumors member

It will work perfectly fine under Windows, but not at all under OS X.

16. warheart macrumors newbie

Mac OS

Has any one tried the 4870 PC card w/the mac video card in the other slot.(I'm referring to Mac Pro 2008 with 2 PCI-E 2.0 16x slots) Will the Mac boot to the mac video card under OS X or Kernal panic cause of the foreign card? Please no guesses. Has anyone actually done this?

17. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I'm still confused. :confused: Every post I read about adding super fast video cards there's always a caveat that you cannot exceed the 300 watt limit. So if you have a card that pulls 190 watts you cannot install two of them. Now I know that the cards have an auxiliary cable that plugs into the MB power connector so why is there a 300 watt limit? Please enlighten me.
    Thanks

18. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It's because that's the max that the PCI slots can supply. The motherboard can supply more through the two six-pin slots, but the PCI slots are limited to 300 watts.

19. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

So I can install two cards that pull (for instance) 300 watts each?

20. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

It's always been cheaper to get a mac pro than the same stuff in the PC world.

That's why I bought the mac pro in the first place.. PC would've been 20% more!

Weird, I know... maybe even a first for Apple

21. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

If you use the extra PCIe power cords, yeah.

22. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

This should work ya. I don't think the 4850s draw much more then the 1900s.

23. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Would a 4850 and the new Mac/PC 3870 connected with Crossfire work okay or would pairing it with the 3870 drag performance down to what two 3870s would provide (at a cheaper price)?

24. ceres macrumors regular

You still need identical cards for a crossfire setup.

25. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

As far as I know this combination is not officially supported, but works in many cases.
    Performance would certainly be better than two 3870. But I think that the performance gain will not be very big over a single 4850 because specially in high resolutions/AA settings the 4850 alone can be twice as fast as the 3870