ATI 4870 1GB flashed to work on Mac Pro...any issues?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nik911sc, Sep 30, 2009.

1. nik911sc macrumors member

nik911sc

I am looking at putting one of these cards in my first gen Mac Pro and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with compatibility issues etc.

I am looking at getting one from bruinmacs and was looking for feedback from others that may have bought one and whether there have been any problems.

Thanks in advance.

Nik

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

there has been lots of discussion on this in this thread. It isn't fool-proof, you will most likely have to tinker with it to get it to work and continue working. If you are willing to spend $325 to get a flashed card from someone on ebay, I think you are just better off getting the apple OEM version. yes, i know i has only half the RAM. but still a better and safer choice, in my opinion.

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

4. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

If you flash it, it'll work forever just like a normal Apple card.

If you use the "injector" method, which is software- and OS-based, upgrading the OS can delete those files, causing the card to not work. Plus, with the injector method, you need to have a true Apple card in the machine for it to boot, which means at least 2 cards must be in the machine.

I have a flashed XFX in my 2008 MP and it's awesome. Should work just as well in the 2006 model.

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Unless something has changed lately the flashed cards have some functional limitations.

You do not get:

1. HD Audio
    2. VGA analogue with adapter
    3. HDMI with adapter
    4. HDCP

6. tribe3 macrumors 6502

7. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Why pay 100$ extra to have someone flash the card? Cause that does look like a flashed PC-card.

8. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Pretty sure - as a user of a flashed card - that you do in fact get HDCP and that HDMI with a DVI-HDMI cable shouldn't be an issue.

HD Audio only works in Windows.

VGA and analog output is still dead.

9. nik911sc thread starter macrumors member

nik911sc

Yes but I am only looking at aftermarket because I didn't believe the OEM from Apple supports 1st gen Mac Pro EFI32. I have no issue with spending the money, it more about the result that I am concerned with. Do Apple supplied cards work on the 1st gen Mac Pro?

10. rub macrumors member

the 4870 from apple does work in all mac pros. you need two cables for powering it, though. if you already have an x1900xt, then you already have one but need a second. if you go through the thread, there's info on where you can order them.

11. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

the 4870 from apple, is, of course, delivered with the necessary cables...