Ati 4870 in windows 7, fan stops

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mikee1979, Mar 11, 2010.

1. mikee1979 macrumors newbie

Anyone had this issue? I'm running Windows 7 (Mac Pro 200) with Bootcamp 3 drivers, every thing seems fine, but it appears that after awhile the graphics card fan seems to stop. Has this happend to anyone?, I downloaded the Catalyst drivers so can hopefully turn the fans on manually but this is'nt ideal.

Thanks

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Are you certain the fan isn't simply very quiet? I can barely hear my fan at the moment - certainly not if I'm typing at the same time.

3. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Yeah, I would open the case and take a look at the card to verify the fan isn't running.

That's a fairly unusual fault (assuming fan isn't dead, but you said it works in OS X).

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

try poke it to start it. sometimes fans stop if they try to run too slow. dw as it will kick off once higher temps are reached.

5. mikee1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could be that it is running quieter, but you can defintely here it power down after 20mins or so, the constant ambient noise of the fan when it's in OSX or XP is louder. I've set the fans to manual and adjusted the fans to 27% which sounds about the same fan noise. Originally in Catalyst the fan says it's at 20%. The temp of the card never seems to go much over 70, so hopefully this is ok.