ATI 4870 Problems - Covered under AppleCare?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TheSpaz, Nov 22, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

See the screenshot below. Look at the weird pixel patterns in the menu bar. It's even worse in games and watching videos. As soon as I plug in a different graphics card (like my 8800GT) it doesn't show up. It's only with my 4870.

I noticed it start happening while I was in BootCamp playing Modern Warfare 2.

Is this covered under any type of warranty? I only bought the card in May.

I also tried letting the card cool down and that didn't help either.

Also, I don't know if it matters, but I have a first generation Mac Pro. Does that mean Apple won't replace the card since my Mac Pro isn't officially supported for the card?

2. akadmon macrumors 68010

What screenshot?

If the MP is not one of the models officially supported by Apple for this card, I suggest you stay silent on the subject of what computer you use it in. I doubt they have any legal right to demand the serial number of your MP. So just bring the card into the store and have them test it. If it's acting up, they must repair or replace it.

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Oops. I meant to attach a screenshot of the artifacts. I wasn't planning on telling them which Mac Pro I'm using it in.

Do you think they'll have me bring my computer or just the card? I want to just bring the card.

4. akadmon macrumors 68010

Bring only the card. Chances are the problem is with the card anyway. If the card checks out OK on their test machine, ask them to give you a loner to troubleshoot your machine. If this tactic fails, buy another 4870 to try out. You may be out $35 (if they insist on charging the restocking fee). If the second card works fine, call the store and and demand to swap it at no cost. If they refuse to let you do this, bring back the original card to the store in the packaging from the second card. I don't think they they have any way to tell the cards apart (i.e., the cards don't have serial numbers). Get you refund (minus the restocking fee, if any) and live happily ever after :)

Now if the second card produces the same artifacts as the card you have currently, then you obviously have bigger problems. Consider the $35 restocking fee a diagnostic charge.

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Interesting idea. I know for a fact it's the card because I put in my 8800GT and the problem is instantly gone. Also, I got the same artifacting in Windows too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

6. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

By the way, here's the photo:

Look at the menu bar to see the weird pixels. I get a ton of these while watching videos or playing games.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Do you have the latest drivers for the 4870? Just wondering, does the problem happen in Safe Mode?

8. MrBorsa macrumors newbie

All this because of the standard definitions, you need to update your drivers on it

9. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It happens in both Windows and Mac OS X. Is there a Mac OS X driver update for the 4870?

Even then… why would the card be fine for 6 months and start acting up now?

10. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

I can't find any driver updates for my 4870. Where can I get them? I tried Apple Software Update but no luck.

I've been using this 4870 card for 4 months now, and I haven't seen any of your problem in mine.

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I updated to the latest drivers in Windows but it didn't do a single thing.

Yes, I'm aware that not everyone has a problem, but I do, so I'm gonna have to get it replaced.

12. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Update:

I took my card to an Apple Store with a Genius Appointment. I got there and they told me that it's not something they have stocked so I basically wasted a trip.

They told me that I have to call the Support line and send it to them in the mail and they'll mail me a new card.

I'm gonna call them tonight and see what they say.

They're probably going to ask for my Mac Pro serial number and if they look it up, they'll see I'm running a first gen Mac Pro. Do you think they'll give me a hard time?

13. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

No just tell them you tested it on a friend's 2009 mac pro and got the same issue.