ATI 4870 solution for dual monitors?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by matteusclement, Mar 16, 2010.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

I have a macpro and the ATI 4870 causes mouse lag when I want dual screen. Could I install a 2nd cheap card just to get the second monitor?

2. -SD- macrumors 6502

If at all possible connect the second monitor by VGA using a DVI-VGA converter. I had this problem and this seems to be the only way to fix it. I was hoping this would have been sorted in Snow Leopard, but since upgrading I haven't bothered to check.

3. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

really?

I'm puzzled about the question... but assuming I understand your question, and you are indeed serious:

a) haven't heard the card itself causing mouse lag, so perhaps there are other causes to consider. A lot of people run dual displays without such problems. Some have a bit of flickering, but no mouse lag.

b) yes, you could install a 2nd video card, but depends on which kind of displays and the mac pro model you've got. Nevertheless, I'd suggest you rule out other causes first, including card malfunction.

cheers!

4. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I stand corrected.

It seems though the issue is a bit old... latest posts in both Macrumors and Apple are >6 months old, mostly with Leopard 10.5.7. Perhaps software/firmware updates took care of it. Perhaps it's limited to a few displays. Some claim SL didn't fix it, but the issue kind of diluted in time, with no new claims. I guess that - if it was a widespread unresolved issue - there would be much more noise about it - like with the audio bug.

Anyway: I'd still try other solutions before buying a new card though. Hardware diagnostic tool, clean reinstall, call apple or take the card for checkup, etc.

cheers!

5. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

I'm running dual 24" monitors off my HD4870 in a Mac Pro 1,1 with absolutely no issues what so ever. Definetly no mouse lag.

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I've noticed it with mine the last couple weeks. I just chalked it up to a logitech driver issue. I've got a 4870 driving a 23" ACD, and the stock GT120 driving a 50" 1080p TV.

Thing hops all over the place, I'll try unplugging the TV and see if it gets better.

7. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

uninstall the logitech driver and see if that helps, you could also just try a differnt USB port

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

I ran dual 30" Cinema Displays on my old Mac Pro 1,1 (Snow Leopard) without problem. Of course, I had to shell out for the $99 dual-link DVI adapter for the second monitor.

Recently, I put that 4870 into a new Mac Pro 2009. Again, no problems running both 30" ACD's, no problems with mouse lag.

As to mice, all I've ever used is Logitech mice, currently a G500. I don't know about drivers - I've never installed any mouse drivers, so unless the drivers you're referring to are built-into the OS, I'm not even sure how I'd go about adding one. I do note that just plugging in either my G500 or prevous Logitech mouse, all the buttons just worked.

9. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

i just installed this card today in mp 3,1
    this is one huge card geez!
    didnt know if it was going to fit in the system!
    mousy hands are helpful
    so far I havent had any issues but will connect the dvi part to my big screen lcd and see what happens

what mac software actually uses the power of the video card besides FCP
    imovie?iphoto? they seem fine as before the new card.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Other than Motion and Color apps really don't tap into the GPU (other than the obviously things like games).

OP,
    Like I said in the other thread about this, putting two GPUs will cause problems running Color, Motion and some FCP plugins.

Lethal

11. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Haven't tried this yet, but I'm sitting on my bed, screen saver comes on, I have the 'flurry' one running, anyways, it's pausing briefly every couple seconds, kind of the same way the mouse cursor would appear to hop.

Think I've got a bunk video card or something? I don't even know how I'd call Apple and explain this one..

12. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

nope, if you have two screens attached and it does that... you're SOL like me

13. MacVidCards Suspended

Guys,

this is a well documented issue with Apple driver.

It happens exactly the same on OEM Apple 4870s as well as flashed ones. Have a look at the Apple boards at Apple.com. Search for Mouse Jump...it appears to be related to the use of certain LCD panels in conjunction with Apple driver.

14. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Yeah I saw that. Bit annoying. Apple Cinema Display plugged into the 4870 and a 50" DLP driven by a GT120.

Wouldn't think it happen with an Apple display and the other monitor driven with the GT120. Oh well.

15. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

not the best solutions

So I love the card. It's great for GPU intensive stuff, so I am looking at a few solutions.

1. USB to DVI adapter. the reviews say that it works for casual web surfing stuff. costs about 60 bucks.

2. capture card. I found a SD kona card on ebay for 60 bucks.

3. upgrading to snow leopard. this seems to work for 50% of the people. 29 bucks with no for sure outcome. Maybe 10.6.3 will address it?

I cant use a 2nd gfx card because it will render COLOR and MOTION useless.

16. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

17. Hmac macrumors 68020

I like the 4870 too, but I'm buying the 5870 as soon as it's available for standalone Mac purchase, if and when.