ATi 4890 for Mac Pro likely?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacAndy74, May 17, 2009.

1. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I'm not that far off ordering my Mac Pro and wanted the best ATi video card I could get at the time I order. At the moment its obviously the 4870, which is fine - but since ATi released the 4890 I've dreamt up the idea of the possibility of ordering it with my new Mac Pro. Question is, is it likely to be available from Apple within the next... say... two months?

Thanks in advance. :D

2. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

No. Apple has chosen the 4870 and will probably not offer another GPU until the next Mac Pro revision.
    The next graphics option for the Mac pro is likely to come directly from Nvidia (no support by Apple), which announced a mac version of the GTX 285 not much time ago...

3. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

So I guess I'll wait and see; order the best graphics card I can with my Mac Pro when the time comes.

I really rather not purchase an nVidia. Bad vibe, from back in the day I was a PC user.

4. jeanlain macrumors 6502a

The funny thing is you can install a radeon HD 4890 in a a Mac Pro.

It seems to work in all models of Mac Pro, and so far, the trick is quite successful. No VGA though, and some cards only have one functional DVI. Cards run at PCIe 1.0 speed, but are still faster than anything Apple currently offers.