ATI 4890 or ElGato Turbo.264 HD - H.264 Encoder ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by frviana, Sep 24, 2009.

1. frviana macrumors member

I am excited waiting for my new Canon 7D and plan to be shooting a lot of 720P 60FPS videos. I can see the need to be converting them in different formats to publish on Youtube and Vimeo.

I got a Mac Pro 1,1 9GB Mem, Snow Leopard with ATI 4890 and was wondering if the ATI 4890 would be doing the re-encoding job better then the ElGato Turbo.264 HD - H.264 Encoder.

Any comments?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. Whiteyez macrumors regular

The CPU is doing the encoding not the GPU, except if you have a programm that can use CUDA, wich i doubt it. :D

4. frviana thread starter macrumors member

Found a co-worker that has the ElGato. I will run the test next week when my Canon arrives and will post the results.

5. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I would say, neither. Use software that employs as many cores as you have. The Turbo.264 will go much faster than one core but four cores should be able to do it.

That said, it was a tremendous pain for me to get Qmaster working properly with Compressor, and it is without a doubt the buggiest, fussiest  software I've used, so I won't tell you it's easy. But it is worth the effort when you quarter your encoding times.

6. frviana thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, never thought about that. I have a Macbook Pro, a Mac Pro and a Macbook. I will put all of them sharing resources via Qmaster to see how it works. I might be surprised :)

I will post how it worked for me.