ATI 5870's are now shipping!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zepharus, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Abidubi macrumors 6502

Ummm, I don't know where you see them shipping... auto notify means they don't have any yet and they will e-mail you when they are in stock.

These should make great apple cards once they come out for mac (6 months probably). These models have 1 HDMI, 1 display port and 2 DVI. I Can see apple shipping cards with 2 DVI and 2 mini display ports. Now we wont be any worse off than before mini display port since the most any apple card had before was 2 DVIs. It should also mean flashed cards for those interested should be fully operational since it uses display port, so it will be in the apple drivers.

If/when this comes out for mac I'm picking one up. By the looks of these prices it will cost the same as the Nvidia 285 mac edition on the apple store.

2. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

I will snag one of these IF they make it to the mac platform. Maybe a year if were lucky. :eek:

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

lol @ the people wanting to flash this card

what drivers are going to run the card in OSX? cause the answer is = none

4. Abidubi macrumors 6502

I used "will" in my post... I'm not one thinking you can flash them without drivers. lol

5. CSHawkeye81 macrumors member

I cant wait until these come out for the macs. Anyhow they were up last night but sold out quickly.

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The only hope I can see for an EFI compatible Radeon HD 5870 is the Eyefinity version with 6 Mini-DisplayPort connectors shipping next month.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Some specs and early benchmarks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some info about Gulftown: [​IMG]

8. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Basically it is coming out on par with a 4870X2, or a GTX 295. So once more (and predictably) we've now got a single card doing the job of the old dual-card solutions.

Price isn't bad though.

9. Abidubi macrumors 6502

Is that overclocked, or does it go up to 5.9Ghz on it's own? If it does thats pretty freaking incredible.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Overclocked :( 6.22GHz is record with Gulftown so far and because it's 32nm, it can have higher clocks as default. 5.9GHz is too high and risky factory clock but I think 3.5GHz is possible

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Early and not to mention fake / cherry picked benchmarks...what's the point really.

The official reviews are all over the web today...

Radeon HD 5870: DirectX 11, Eyefinity e tanta potenza - Tom's Hardware
    PC Perspective - ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB Graphics Card and AMD Eyefinity Review
    Legion Hardware
    techPowerUp :: AMD Radeon HD 5870 1 GB GDDR5 Review :: Page 1 / 34
    techPowerUp :: AMD Radeon HD 5870 PCI-Express Scaling Review :: Page 1 / 26
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 Review
    HEXUS.net - Review :: AMD ATI Radeon HD 5870 DX11 graphics-card reviewed and rated : Page - 1/16
    HEXUS.net - Review :: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFireX: say hello to our little friends : Page - 1/7
    Introduction - AMD\'s ATI Radeon HD 5870 Video Card Review | [H]ard|OCP
    bit-tech.net | Feature - ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB Review
    Radeon HD 5870 review
    Test: ATi Radeon HD 5870 (Seite 23) - 23.09.2009 - ComputerBase
    AnandTech: AMD's Radeon HD 5870: Bringing About the Next Generation Of GPUs
    ATI Radeon HD 5870: DirectX 11, Eyefinity, And Serious Speed : Introduction - Review Tom's Hardware
    HardOCP Review:
    Introduction - AMD\'s ATI Radeon HD 5870 Video Card Review | [H]ard|OCP
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB Graphics Card Introduction :: TweakTown
    Radeon HD 5870: PC Games Hardware
    ATI Radeon HD 5870 Performance Preview: Firingsquad
    AMD ATI Radeon HD 5870: Unquestionably Number One - HotHardware
    ATI Radeon HD 5870 DX11 Video Card Review - The World's First DX11 GPU - Legit Reviews
    SweClockers.com - Artikel: AMD Radeon HD 5870
    ATI Radeon HD 5870 vs Nvidia GTX 295 | lab501

Just to post a few.

12. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

So.....................

You figure (as of now) they are going for $379.00 retail for the PC version, at least on Newegg.

Looking into my crystal ball, I can see a Mac version coming out, hmmm, maybe six months from now, and the price will be either 579 or 625, with absolutely no rhyme or reason given for the huge price disparity. :rolleyes:

13. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's not because that isn't a multiple of 133 ;)

14. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

...and then we will all join in the new "Race to dump 5870 rom" thread, working for a month to produce a way to flash a 5870, meanwhile nvdia releases their new cards, six months later we have the 385 GTX released for Mac, priced at 650$ (pc version 300$), only to see the 6870 be released a few months later. :rolleyes:

15. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Absolutely !! But those of us posting in that "race" thread will have been smart enough not to fork over that osbscene amount of money to Apple or whoever else had the balls to overcharge for the card ! ;)

16. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Honestly, after the lackluster support and performance of the 4870 in OSX for OpenCL, I'm seriously considering going back to NVidia for the next card...

As I thought more about it, it makes sense that the 4870's support would suck so bad:

1) aside from the (relatively few) people who bought 3xxx series boards for their Mac Pro's and those of us who got the 4870's, there are ZERO other model Macs that had compatible Radeon based machines.

2) OpenCL is a lot closer to the CUDA api, which is NVidia's baby.

As such, it's no wonder the 4870 sucks for OpenCL and Apple hasn't got the driver up to snuff for it. Why would they when 90% of the machines out there have NVidia cards, and those cards are easier to port the driver to?

Sigh... These 5xxx series cards DO look impressive though!

17. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

You're giving up too soon. As I've pointed out before, there are no OpenCL apps yet and performance changes with an OS update, as it has in the past.

Barefeats still hasn't posted the benchmark that includes the 4870 yet. Not that benchmarking is the end-all anyway.

18. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

That is just unsubstantiated rubbish.

OpenCL is a Open Standard cooperatively made by several companies. NVIDIA and AMD were both helping rectifying the standard and Apple were responsible for pushing the standard through in record time and handing it over to the Khronos Group. It is important to understand that it is cross-platform.

CUDA is not any closer to OpenCL than AMD Stream. Granted they both need to die quickly, along with PhysX for their open source equivalents.

OpenCL is still early on and improved drivers will help alleviate the discrepancy that currently exist.

What exactly are you currently using OpenCL for?

19. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

To add something actually relevant to this thread, since we have no clue if or when 5870 mac drivers will exist, there is some very good news in its announcement:

The Eyefinity card with 6 mini-Displayports. If you hate MDP this is bad news, but for those of us who have to live with it, this is great news because it means it's becoming standard on hardware - that card only has MDP and is designed to run 6 monitors simultaneously. So it's now being built into cards and monitors, which means it is not 's niche product, but soon to be included standard on hardware that is not made by . I have to imagine that Samsung array they're showing it off on will use MDP if it doesn't already.

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So in theory would it be possible to have 12 x 30" ACDs with two of those cards? :cool:

21. Abidubi macrumors 6502

Nope, if I read the specs correctly (or was it the interview I heard that in) the 6 port card can drive 6 screens max at 1920X1200.

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Dang! But 12 x 24" LED then? :rolleyes: Or up to 24 x 24" with CrossFireX (in PC)?

23. Abidubi macrumors 6502

Never mind, I might be wrong. I found conflicting sources. Unfortunately ATI doesn't have any official spec sheet for the 6 display version yet.

24. cured.not.dried macrumors member

didn't we get our drivers for our flashed 4870's from netkas a few weeks before they came in the 10.5.7 update?