ATI 6870/6850 Finally working in target display mode

Discussion in 'iMac' started by henrikrox, Nov 6, 2010.

1. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Got my dual 6870 radeon on friday.

i hooked them up with crossfire (dual x16)

and voila, finally the comp can be connected to the imac screen without adapters or anything like that. just a single cable.

just a heads up, cause i remember there was some pain with the 5000 series radeon cards.

Looks great. And saved me 1000 dollars on a screen ( :

2. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

so what is the point of doing that? i'd imagine it would be cheaper to just buy a ips screen instead of a $1000-2500 imac to serve as a monitor..

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I think you're missing the point here. He's already got an iMac and is using it normally but also has a PC that he wants to use with it. If he couldn't use the iMac screen with his {I'm guessing gaming] PC then he would have to have bought a separate screen and a screen of the same quality would have cost $999.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Good to know! Thanks! How is the performance with 6870 CF? Can you do some benchmarks?

5. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Doesn't the 27" Imac only use 720 when used as an external display? If so then you have a lot of graphics power to run at a very low res.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's with mDP to HDMI adapters. When using (m)DP to mDP, it's the native 2560x1440.

7. DLary macrumors member

The 6870 also sends sound to the iMac so you can use the internal speakers.

8. iMacN00b macrumors member

Hei,

Have you done some Benchmarking yet? It would be interesting to see if the 6870 in CrossFire is able to do a good job at native resolution.

The price is pretty good (komplett.no) but I am bit worried about performance at the resolution of the 27"

Anyway, congrats with the purchase!