ATI 9200 or NVidia 5200?

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2005
Besides RAM, what are the main differences between the 12"/14" iBook's ATI Radeon 9200 and the 12" Powerbook's NVidia Geforce FX Go 5200? Anything in Tiger that would show a difference. I went to the mfg's websites and both have their own branding for different terms. I know that the NVidia is DX9 compliant and the ATI is 8.1 compatiable. Which GPU is faster, better?

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
The FX5200 fully supports core image. The 9200 doesn't. Basically, you won't get the ripple effect in Dashboard. The 9200 isn't as good with games either.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
As said, go with the 5200 fully Tiger compatible and a better chip generally ;)

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2005
Well thanks for the responses. I am now planning on getting a 12" PB unless the iBook has some crazy update next week. Making the switch after almost exactly 10 years since my first PC 10 years ago to the beauty of OSX. The extra speed of the PB will allow it to last longer and will be faster at everyday tasks.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
bodeh6 said:
Well thanks for the responses. I am now planning on getting a 12" PB unless the iBook has some crazy update next week. Making the switch after almost exactly 10 years since my first PC 10 years ago to the beauty of OSX. The extra speed of the PB will allow it to last longer and will be faster at everyday tasks.
Thats right! :thumpsup:

Pankaj

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2005
Screen rotation

bodeh6 said:
If you plan to use a LCD monitor and would like to rotate screen to Portrait mode, then, this is only possible in Powerbooks with ATI card not nvidia cards.

So, while you will have the screen rotation feature in ibook and can also use screen spanning with another patch, you cannot have screen rotation in Powerbook 12inch.

I don't think apple are planning to let the "NVROTATE" feature of Nvidia cards work on their macs...my post on apple frum was removed !!!

Pankaj

Pankaj

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Pankaj said:
If you plan to use a LCD monitor and would like to rotate screen to Portrait mode, then, this is only possible in Powerbooks with ATI card not nvidia cards.

So, while you will have the screen rotation feature in ibook and can also use screen spanning with another patch, you cannot have screen rotation in Powerbook 12inch.

I don't think apple are planning to let the "NVROTATE" feature of Nvidia cards work on their macs...my post on apple frum was removed !!!

Pankaj

Pankaj
Well its interesting!