ATI Catalyst and Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Nohg, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Nohg macrumors member

Hey again. Seems like I am coming to drink from the well of knowledge here every other day!

I'm encountering something of an odd problem with my i7 iMac running Windows 7 x64. I really miss the ease-of-use that I had with the nvidia control panel on my 24-inch iMac. Enter ATI's card in my new iMac. I did the two-monitor install method (thankfully a friend of mine was moving and I was able to borrow the monitor for an afternoon while his apartments was dissembled) and used Apple's bootcamp drivers to install...the boot camp drivers. As I sort of expected, there was no ATI icon waiting for me in the control panel when I looked. So I did what I did on my other iMac and sought the latest vendor drivers for my card. Given that ATI's "BootCamp" section of their support downloads covers only Windows XP, I decided to download the 4800-series drivers for Windows 7 x64.

They claim to install properly but I see no control panel and no additional options regarding my card. So I am forced to conclude that there are to be extraordinary methods undertaken here. The problem is that I am unsure what they are.

Will uninstalling the drivers totally lead me back to having a black display like I got during the installation before I had the second monitor?

tl;dr

I want an ATI Catalyst control panel for my i7 Windows 7 x64 install with an ATI Radeon HD 4850 card in it. What do I do? If a method worked for you, how was it done?

Thanks, as always,

-Nohg

2. Nohg thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps I should mention that the "Catalyst" part of the control panel is not paramount, just a regular ATI panel would be great.

3. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I'd like to know the same thing. I installed the latest Catalyst drivers from ATI and nothing shows up on my Windows 7 boot camp installation. The installation seemed to go fine, but not control panel, etc.

4. Nohg thread starter macrumors member

Well I found a solution that worked for me. Insert your snow leopard DVD. Go the boot camp folder. Go to drivers, ATI, then pick which "CCC" app is good for your install.

Worked for me, sort of. I have the panel, or the app I guess, but the "notebook display panel" won't make my display stretch like I want. Nearly as I can tell, all the other options/toggles work. However, I do have a "Catalyst Cotnrol Center" thingy now so I suppose that's one step on the road to stretching my display.

5. Nohg thread starter macrumors member

Mmm well thanks I suppose for digging that bit up. Trouble is I'd already tried that before posting here :p and even now Catalyst still interprets my toggling of the "Preserve Aspect-Ratio" option to mean "default back to 'Centered'". So if you have any other insights on how to make that feature work, I am all ears.

Wasn't much to me, but it may work for someone else!

Thanks for digging around a bit :)

6. joudbren macrumors regular

Sorry, not sure what's going on with your system then. I used the mod tool on my i5 and it worked perfectly and the Catalyst control panel is definitely showing up in Win7 x64 once I modded the latest drivers from ATI.

James