ATI Display driver crash

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Blathian, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Blathian macrumors member

I installed Windows 7 64 on my new imac 27" through bootcamp 3.0. Installation went smooth, but now im getting a yellow dot pattern , then screen goes black for a second then message" ATI family stopped working" kinda message. (i can get exact verbage if it helps).
    So it does this alot when im just cruizing around windows 7, BUT no issues at all when playing my PC games. WEIRD!!
    Anyways looking for some advice, heard using 3.1 bootcamp update gives you another wired display issue of not being in 32bit or something. And i dont want to just start messing with drivers and mess games up.
    WHY CANT THINS THIS JUST RUN SMOOTH LIKE THE MAC SIDE!!! :)
    thanks

2. Blathian thread starter macrumors member

Any help from someone who has Windows 7 64 bit on their 27" i7 imac? just want to get a driver that solves the issues and doesnt create a new one! please help or point me in the righht direction. Ive googled this for hours! and not found a clear answer...thanks

3. Surfheart macrumors regular

Hi, same problem unfortunately. Seems pretty common with the 27" iMacs and bootcamp 3.0. You can load up bootcamp 3.1 which has newer Ati drivers that don't crash, but there is a bug in them that makes your display seem like it is set to 16bit colour.

Apple haven't provided a functional Ati Driver for windows yet on the new iMacs. :mad:

4. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Why do you care if you're using a driver from Apple? Just go to ATI and install the latest Catalyst driver for Windows 7. I did that on day 1 and haven't had a single graphical hiccup in Windows 7 x64.

5. Blathian thread starter macrumors member

Did you install radeon drivers or mobility radeon drivers?

6. Zortrium macrumors 6502

I think they're the same (at least as far as the 4xxx series is concerned), but if they are different I believe I went with the mobility drivers.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

ATi's newer drivers seem to crash A LOT.

I get a "ATi Display Driver was unresponsive" every time I come out of sleep. Sometimes when I close a game too.