ATI Displays and possibility to use with new cards (am I dreaming?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Minocan, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Minocan macrumors newbie

I really wanted ATI to solve this, but they didn't answer back at their official forums so I ask MacRumors.

Back in the day PowerPC ATI cards has a wonderful application called ATI Displays, which had a famed 3D override window for Full Scene Super or Multi Sampling, Anisotropic Filtering and Vsync for applications/games which didn't support it naturally. With a trick we could utilise it for Mac Pro x1900 xt's and Core Duo x1600 laptop cards if we had the latest revision (4.5.9) which was universal binary.

[​IMG]

As far as the installation process goes, it modified the x1000.kext, and atindriver.bundle. And there's ATI Monitor.app working at the background.

Now as far as i know, the new ATI cards use x2000.kext s. Can there be a workaround for the ati displays and ati monitor application to run on the new kext and ndriver bundles (x1000 is version 1.1 and x2000 is 1.5 respectively) Or must it be rewritten from scratch?

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

I'd be interested in working on this with you, as my flashed 4870 would work wonders with this app.

3. Minocan thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know anything about coding this and the extensions, but hackintosh people do write roms, maybe they could tweak this too.
    Just imagine this program as an addition to all new cards, it would be so awesome :) OpenGL Profiler AA trick is so limiting compared to this.

I don't think rewriting is needed as the drivers are updated. Back in x1900 times, there were drivers updates, but this kept working on x1900. The commands (like opengl profiler) should be the same (guessing though)
    All we need to do is make it compatible with other kernels. Wish ATI responded back then.