ATI GPU Temperature

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macz1, Feb 29, 2008.

1. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

The Catalyst driver in Windows shows the GPU temperature of my 2600XT. While gaming it reaches 91°C (196 F) and idles at around 45°C (110 F) !
    I don't know if these values are to be considered too high.
    Room temperature is about 19° and I didn't have any artifact or stability issue so far, but on a long-term basis that could change...

I didn't believe in these values first, until I measured the exhausted air of the card and got 70-80°...

How hot is your card?

2. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

I have an ATI X1900XT in my August 2007 Mac Pro, and it never gets hotter than ~75°C while gaming. Since my card is known to run pretty hot, I would say that your temperature is much too high.

3. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Hmm... interesting. Does anyone know how the GPU temperature
    can be measured in OS X? I can't see anything in iStat pro that
    looks like the GPU temperature.

Thanks.

4. macz1 thread starter macrumors 6502

macz1

If it's really too hot and it's slowly going to die I will replace it by a flashed 8800 as soon as it begins artifacting...

5. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

I use ATIs Catalyst Control Center in Vista to measure the temperature of my card, but it seems to correspond pretty well to the Northbridge temperature I get on iStat Pro while gaming in Mac OS X. I should also mention that I use smcFanControl to keep my cooling fan speeds a little higher than normal in my Mac Pro.