ATI & hardware accelerated drivers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thermodynamic, May 9, 2011.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Howdy. Somebody, albeit back in March, made a claim that the ATi drivers for the new 2011 MBPs aren't hardware-accelerated for H.264 video.

Is that true? (Nobody responded to that person, which is a shame as - by now - a development surely would have taken place?)

http://forums.macworld.com/index.php?/topic/135441-review-macbook-pros-early-2011/page__st__14

(that poster is ignorant in that, while Flash is a mess, it's not HTML5 but H.264 that is the relevant CODEC and the video drivers, if they aren't by now, definitely need to be.)

2. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

Still no GPU acceleration for Flash, I know that much, but Apple has never supported that with AMD GPUs. I'm hoping that comes with Lion, especially with Apple pretty much completely migrating to AMD GPUs.

Edit: Just played a h.264-encoded blu-ray rip. CPU usage was only ~15%, so I would say acceleration is working with Quicktime.

3. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree. Apple needs to add that with Lion if they are planning on switching exclusively to AMD gpus.

4. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Thanks, y'all!

Especially as they do hype up h.264 as if there's no tomorrow, it's utterly bizarre they don't include AMD's GPUs - I found out, on Apple's support site, that Intel's HD 3000 GPU **does** have accelerated drivers, but for them to ignore AMD's GPUs is mind-boggling.

But given they've been selling AMD GPUs for the 2009 Mac Pro, 2011 MBPs and iMacs, etc, it's very very odd that they have not been working on h.264 acceleration. Especially as Apple has total control over their platform, to not include H.264 acceleration -- :facepalm: .