ATI + NVIDIA in 2010 MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mattbatt, Aug 10, 2010.

1. mattbatt macrumors member

Hi all,
    I just heard directly from Rob at barefeats.com that NVIDIA has confirmed the GTX 285 and FX 4800 works with the new Westmere's. He will be doing testing this month.

So, as a graphic designer who is already invested in Adobe products, I have been inching toward Premiere over FinalCut for some time - since who knows when FCP will actually use OpenCL, more than 2 cores and be fully 64 bit.

So, do any of you have real world experience with how much better tapping into CUDA is for rendering / color correction / video?

From what it seems like to me, please correct me if I am wrong, but the ATI's are great with games but are not being pulled into any parallel processing tasks currently (maybe for Motion playback), where as the NVIDIA's are.

Thus, ordering a Mac Pro with the standard video card and putting the $200 upgrade toward a GTX 285 would benefit me I believe.

However, OWC, Newegg and Amazon are all out of the Mac version. Do you guys flash the PC version? Is this card really old or being replaced?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would wait for new NVIDIA card to show up. At least Quadro 4000 has been confirmed plus GTX 480 might show up as well. You could buy a used GTX 285 if you find a good deal