Ati + Nvidia + Motion 3

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zygo, Aug 19, 2007.

1. zygo macrumors member

I have heard there may be issues with motion 3 if both Ati and nvidia cards are installed... Is it true? Has anyone had experience of this? Are there any ways around it?

I need to add extra video outs for doing VJ work, but also use motion 3 alot.

If it is a driver issue could I easily uninstall/reinstall the nvidia drivers deppending on what i was doing?

mac pro 2.66, 5gb, Ati

2. jroad macrumors member

I had issues when using Motion 2 with ATI + Nvidia. Essentially, the canvas would not display on the ATI connected displays. I reported this problem to Apple and in my basic testing this issue was fixed in Motion 3. So, the canvas displays properly now on all displays, whereas before it was just a blank screen on the ATI connected displays.

3. zygo thread starter macrumors member

So the issue (if it does effect me) will be that motion only sees the nvidia displays?

If I only have displays running of my Ati will it still want to run off the nvidia?

Has it effected performance of the canvas at all? I'd heard reports that it slows down the hardware (GPU) acceleration so the canvas screen skips frames or slows?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The x1900+Nvidia driver issues affected both the Mac Pro and PowerMac G5, so it wasn't just a reinstall issue.

You can try to see if some of Apple's workarounds still affect you, if they do you might want to try a second x1900 card and remove the 7300.

---

If you only have two displays, just move them to the ATI card and pull the Nvidia card.

Though it shouldn't really be a problem if you leave the card in, most people ran into the issue when they used displays on both cards at once. And only rather specific uses of apps and windows.

5. zygo thread starter macrumors member

So if I only put the 7300 in when I need it for live shows it shouldn't effect motion?

My understanding was that the issue is driver based not hardware, so surely taking just the card out wouldn't make much difference? Or do the drivers run from the card?

Don't really want to add another Ati-could really do with not using a double slot width. Plus £ isn't great at the mo.

The 7300 is in the post, when it gets here I'll test it out and see what works and what doesn't.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Testing is the best method ... and it sounds like you are going to do that. ;)

7. jroad macrumors member

I did experience problems with a few third party apps utilizing Core Image when using ati+nvidia and 3 displays in the past. However, these problems were fixed in a Software Update around 10.4.9, I believe.

As I mentioned previously, the problems I had with Motion 2 have been fixed with Motion 3. I heard reports of some people having performance issues with Motion 3, but do not know if the culprit is the ati+nvidia combo.

When I did have conflicts stemming from the ati+nvidia cards, I found that physically removing the dvi cable from the nvidia connected display before running the application in question fixed the problem.

As Sun Baked said, you will need to test things, but from my experience most, if not all, of the ati+nvidia conflcts have been fixed.