ATI or nVidia for AutoCAD Workstation?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, Nov 9, 2010.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i will be building a workstation in the coming months and i can not decide on a gpu. nVidia just came out with their new Quadro 4000, but at $750 i was seeing what else was out there. ATI has the new FirePro V5800, but at half the cost and not requiring external power from the PSU, i'm a bit reluctant to go with an "entry" level price. Anyone out there have some knowledge on if ATI or nVidia has the step up for CAD GPU's in the $400-$800 range.

2. Malsi macrumors regular

Hi!
    I honestly wouldn't know which card you should choose. I do have some advice though. You should check out Tomshardware.com. They have really nice people there, and their focus is on PCs rather than Macs. It has helped me out alot, and hopefully it would do the same for you.

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

the ATI FirePro's are absolute garbage.
    utter crap.

in Autocad the lowest Quadro FX (580) beats the top ATI FirePro

The ATI workstation line should be taken off the market.

The New Nvidia Quadro Line is absolute sweetness.

4. nsx23, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

nsx23 macrumors member

nVidia. Had problems with ATi in doing CAD and CFD (e.g. models don't display properly).

5. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well thanks for the comments, i was leaning toward nVidia, but the pricepoint of ATI was making me question it. As far as nVidia goes, how good is say the Quadro 2000? It looks like suck a wimpy card, but is in their "midrange", and the specs of some consumer cards, like the new GTX580, kick it's ass. Anyone have some word as to how much better they perform with the workstation drivers and all the other trickery that is put into them?