Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know, (and I think I know the anser to this) if there is anywhere,
where there is a definitive ATI driver for this card on leopard, OR a 'successful' driver workaround (with clear 'noobie type' instructions)??

It seems there is a lot written about this subject on the web but not much in terms of results....

Also, and call me a dumb dumb for asking, but is their no intention on ATI's/apples' parts to produce a driver for OSX so that we can actually use this superb hardware???

thanks
Danskimanuk
According to this site, you can get the 2900 working. Although I wouldn't call it superb hardware...

danskimanuk

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2004
No good for me..

Thanks Diamond g.

I have already seen and tried this method, but it didnt work for me, just a pixelated screen....

the search continues..

cheers
D

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Thanks Diamond g.

I have already seen and tried this method, but it didnt work for me, just a pixelated screen....

the search continues..

cheers
D

Odd, the folks on the insanelymac forum seem to have proof that it works. Are you using 10.4 or 10.5? Click the forum link and read around page 3. If you still are having issues join the forum and post your problem. You will hget faster help there than here. Just let them know you are using a real mac though, they seem to all be using OSX86. I am not sure how much of a difference that makes.

EDIT: haha I just read page 4 you did join... So um, dang my bad...

-Noodles

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Is there a particular reason apple offers such a limited range of choices for graphics cards? Are there factors at play that might given reason to expand the options in the future?

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Is there a particular reason apple offers such a limited range of choices for graphics cards?

That's a very good question.

Supply and demand is the reason ATI clocks Mac video cards lower than their PC counterparts. The demand for Mac video cards is lower than their PC counterparts, so ATI runs them at lower clock speeds to maintain their desired profit per card. (I still haven't figured out how that works).

Supply and demand may be the reason only 3 video cards are offered for the Mac Pro.

danskimanuk

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2004
no, im a dirty X86

Hi Diamond G,
no Im a dirty little x86 im afraid...

would love to have mac hardware, (as I have had) but its just too expensive to get the bang for my buck with apple that I need from hardware capable of fast and effecient 3d rendering that I can get with a PC...

Anyhow,
as you saw I had joined, and realised I was not following the process to the letter.

Unfortunately I now have, and I cant get OSX to start!!

that'll teach me...;)

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.