Ati Radeon 5870 upgraded to Ati radeon 6950

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dtechlogic, Dec 4, 2012.

1. dtechlogic macrumors regular

Hi Everyone,

My ATi radeon 5870 came out faulty so XFX replace it with a Ati Radeon 6950. Will i encounter any problem using this video card on my mac pro or not at all. I should have it tomorrow it got shipped out today via fedex.

2. 92jlee macrumors 6502

i'm guessing it wasnt an apple branded 5870?

The 6870 apparently works out of the box but im waiting for mine to come in the post - please keep us updated when you get your card.

3. dtechlogic thread starter macrumors regular

Nope it was not an apple branded. The only apple branded i have is 5770 which is good thing i still have it. Will inform once i get it. If not it is going up for sale if it does not work out on mac pro. Then i will get a Nvidia gtx 570 from MacVids.

4. MacVidCards Suspended

Believe it or not, that genius Netkas wrote an EFI for 6950.

The sad part is AMD and Apple have played a nasty game of Now-it-works, now-it-doesn't with 6950 drivers.

So you can put a nice EFI on it that gives bootscreen from lower DVI port, but in most OS versions this just leads to a kernal panic.

5. dtechlogic thread starter macrumors regular

MacVid. I was going to take a nvidia gtx 570 to you for flashing but since my my 5870 got upgraded to a 6950. i am going to test it. Any advise if i should flash it.

6. dtechlogic thread starter macrumors regular

Ok everyone,

I tested that video card in my mac pro and it is a no go. No screen nothing. It was just a black screen. no image. So will it be a fair trade for a Nvidia 560 Ti twin frozer or should i try to make it work. I have never flash a video card before. also i don't have a pc in my hand but i have windows running on bootcamp and will that do it. Any advice on what should i do with this video card

7. dtechlogic thread starter macrumors regular

hello Everyone,

Now that i got convince. I just bought a Nvidia GTX 670. Now i am selling a Radeon HD6950 since i could not get it to work with my mac pro. Any advice before installing the gtx 670. Should arrive in a week. I was debating between a 570 and 670. So i decided to go with the new instead of the old. Anyways now i am stuck with a 6950 that i want to sell.