Ati Radeon 6950

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dtechlogic, Jan 20, 2013.

1. dtechlogic macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Well guys i am here to find the direction or someone can direct me to the right direction to able to flash my XFX Ati Radeon 6950. I have look around but most of the instruction are not clear. The XFX 6950 2GB is stuck on the protected bank. The switch on top is broken off. I don't know if they did this by intention so that it cannot be flashed. I called XFX about it but they came back with a smart A$$ answer. Anyways my coworker is willing to trade with me for his Ati radeon 6870 1GB. will the 6870 Work with the mac pro I have (mac pro 5.1) or is it best to flash the 6950. But can anyone point me to the rom with the EFI 64bit for 6950 or the 6870 if i trade with my coworker. Well i am in desperate need or maybe someone in LA, CA can assist on flashing it.

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
    Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 2
    Total Number of Cores: 8
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
    Memory: 32 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
    Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.39f11
    SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11

2. dtechlogic thread starter macrumors regular

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

6950 doesn't work well in Mac. Your best bet is to return it and get an Nvidia GTX 660 or something like that.

4. Phrygian macrumors regular

5. dtechlogic thread starter macrumors regular

Well, my buddy is returning my gtx 670 2gb. I am going to sell my ati radeon 6950 on eBay. The software I use often is adobe premiere pro after effcts and photoshop

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Wait, you have a 670? Why aren't you using the 670?

7. dtechlogic thread starter macrumors regular

I gave it to my buddy. He called me and said that he is going to dismantle his pc and will be returning my gtx 670. I just gave it to him last friday. He did not even use it. Anyways the reason i gave it to him. I was discourage because my Freaking mac pro 5, 1 fans keeps running at full speed after apple has replace the power supplly, logic board and the backpanel board. Still they can't fix it. The good news is i do still have apple care until march 2014. This Friday i am taking it back to them for the fan issue. I am going to try to see if i can convince them to replace the system. As i type this up. i just turn on the mac, i am at the login screen the freaking fan is loud and going at full speed already without running anything. This is sucks. I have taken it to them four times. Already. I hate going back but it looks like i have too. (Also forgot to mention that the fan issue started happening after they replace the power supply, backboard, and logic board.