ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO series, graphic driver update?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ifrong, Jun 22, 2011.

1. ifrong macrumors newbie

Hello,

So I'm a gamer (annoying for mac users, yes I know), but I like to try and not give up on making a game work on my Mac OS X side first, before wanting to throw it out a window...

Although I've had my mac for a while, im still no complete pro at it. As far as I know, I'm simply looking for an update for my graphics driver. I know that the updates are supposed to be included in the software updates, but specifically for a game im trying to play, I do not know whether it has been updated or not.

I'm looking to try this new game called "PlaneShift", the ONLY reason I even freakin' downloaded the thing is because I was trying to look up decent MMORPG's specifically for Macs. Everything seemed to be going fine until I launched the client. The graphics aren't completely messed up, but there are patches where the graphics aren't proper (enough that it would not allow me to play the game with succession, let alone get past making a character)

I dont know much about Lineux, or Snow Leopard - or how to tell if my computer has it. As far as I know those need to be purchased (and I havent so I just assume my operating system is OS X 10.5.8 seeing as thats what my computer says it is).

All I want is to know what i need to do to be able to play this game and/or update my stupid graphics driver. Because to me right now, im just annoyed that they're making things for macs, but not completing or explaining enough about all the hardware their "new", unknowing customers are getting themselves into. I love my mac, but oh how I get so damn mad at it sometimes when it comes to gaming... =.=" I dont expect to be able to play all sorts of games, but for christ sakes when it says its mac compatible im just sick of running into little errors that stop you from playing the whole thing..

Anywho, here the details of my iMac:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac8,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.29f1
    Serial Number (system): QP8350HVZE6
    Hardware UUID: D153A837-7C59-522B-9EE9-B8B582ADD3D3

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x9583
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-B2250L-259
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.259
    Displays:
    iMac:
    Resolution: 1680 x 1050
    Depth: 32-Bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Built-In: Yes
    Display Connector:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 9.8.0
    Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
    Boot Mode: Normal
    Computer Name: Laura Doyle’s iMac
    User Name: Laura Doyle (ifrong)

I also have 4GB of RAM

I've checked both websites for updates, maybe they're on there or not, but if they are I sure havent been able to find the proper update. And yes I could run bootcamp, I already have it, only I need to activate my windows and but lost the serial, and cant seem to find any working serial... It seems I'm not meant to play games lol

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

THE GAMES OFFICIAL SITE:

http://www.planeshift.it/

Please, somebody help :(

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Graphics driver updates are included in OS X and updated and they cannot be download manually. You could buy 10.6 and see if it has better drivers and thus better performance.