ATI Rage Pro Video Card upgrade question.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mail4asim, Sep 14, 2007.

1. mail4asim macrumors member

mail4asim

I have a G4 Sawtooth PowerMac. Here are the spec. I upgraded the processor to a 1Ghz (got a great deal from Amazon).

Machine Name: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
    Machine Model: PowerMac3,1
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
    L3 Cache (per CPU): 2 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 100 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.2.8f1

Here is the video card ..

Chipset Model: ATY,Rage128Pro
    Type: Display
    Bus: AGP
    Slot: SLOT-A
    VRAM (Total): 16 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x5046
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-63001-110
    Displays:
    VX2245wm:
    Resolution: 1280 x 1024
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Built-In: Yes
    Core Image: Not Supported
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

My problem is that while using digital connection, I can't go beyond 1280x1024. VGA goes all the way to 1680x1050.

Is there any incentive for upgrading the video card ? Like faster graphics or better digital resolution on this computer? I have noticed GeForce 2 MX 32MB cards sell for like 30 bucks on ebay. I don't want to spend too much money on graphics cards. I mainly use this machine for work and school. No games at all.

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

The biggest incentive, IMHO, would be gaining Core Image & Quartz Extreme support, which would considerably speed up on-screen rendering by offloading those tasks from the CPU to video card, therefore allowing your system to make more efficient use of that 1Ghz processor you bought. The Sawtooths need all the help they can get in these regards :)

forget the GF cards, their drivers suk thanks to nVidia's lack of committment, so their performance on macs were/are always less than the cards are capable of........

If would be willing to spend ~$50-75, you could get a decent Radeon card, either an 8500 or 9000, either of which would be a big plus for your machine ! Or if you don't mind the experimentation, you can get flashed PC versions of the 128mb 9800 for around $80. I have one in my QS and it is great, had it my ST before that notta problemo :)

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A flashed GeForce 6200 would be great.

Plus you can leverage it against the Cube owners. :p

4. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

If your looking for an upgrade which might handle modern stuff, I'd recommend going for a 9800. It was 'the' card of 2003/early 2004, beating the crap out of nvidia. I bought a mac edition around 3 years ago from OWC and its been a great card.

You could either try to grab a pc one and flash it, grab a pre-flashed one or grab a mac one. Apparently the mac ones have just started shipping again, so you could probably get one if your willing to pay.

It is a three-four year old card though...

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

As much as I love the 9800 I still believe a flashed 6200 would be a better option for the price.

If you really want performance go for a flashed GeForce 6800/7800. Talk to this nice gentleman.