ATI WinFlash, XFX 4890

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lurkingbf, Mar 15, 2010.

1. lurkingbf macrumors regular

Anyone have any stories (success or horror) to relate regarding the use of ATI WinFlash in Windows to flash their cards? I've got everything set to go, and if I can use the utility with confidence, I will. (Why go through the boot CD creation and DOS process if not required, right?)

I am doing this because my Mac Pro won't boot with any version of Natit installed so far. That option isn't open to me. Thanks.

2. Dai Bando macrumors member

Dai Bando

what mac pro? which xfx and version? I could not run 2 cards (with one card to the display) until tonite, I installed the ATI G5 cables. Just one was not enough-needed both cables and powered the old 1900XT with the extra molex from the superdrive. Otherwise, I too, couldn't install natit, or the ATI drivers. Is your card 'seen' by sys profiler?

3. lurkingbf thread starter macrumors regular

So, I grew impatient, and decided to just go ahead and flash the card with the Windows ATI utility. I'm happy to report: success!

I am currently booted into OS X, have installed the QE_CI 1062 package, and all seems well.

Except...

So far, no luck getting my two monitors to play nice. They both display an image, but the result is not what was intended. (I'll work on it.)

Also, I think the modded ROM I've used may have the fan control settings a bit on the low side. I did some benchmark OpenGL testing in Windows while observing the results in GPU-Z. I've posted here. Do these temps seem out of line? Look high to me, but then I've never used such a power hungry card before.

All in all, so far so good! I do think I need to recalibrate my monitor, though, as the colours in Aperture look off. I guess the lookup tables used to create the colour profile are video card based.

Attached Files:

4. lurkingbf thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it's pretty cool, if I do say so myself. :)

Nothing like saving a few hundred dollars--especially if you like tinkering, anyway.

5. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

Good for you!

Now that you have it booting into OSX you can just use the Zeus utility to try a different flash ROM if you want/need too.

6. lurkingbf thread starter macrumors regular

Oh hey, that's a great point. And in fact, I think I may need to just that. When i have my two monitors connected (critical for me), the larger 30" monitor begins to display artifacting: a solid line of interference (flicker?) jumps through the screen at random points of time and monitor space.

This is odd, since it works perfectly when only one monitor is attached, and the smaller monitor doesn't display the same issue.

Also, I have not noticed the issue yet in Aperture: only when the desktop is displayed to some degree. Weird...

Getting back to the point about temperatures, could that be an issue? My experience is that video cards can be goofy if overheated, and this flicker strikes me as possibly that. Thoughts?

Edit: first impression was wrong, the larger monitor flickers all the time no matter what is displayed whenever two monitors are connected. Seems to be the only issue, but it's sure a big one.

7. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Congrats on being able to flash your card. :D

+1 For this suggestion.