Ati X1900 warranty question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tribe3, May 24, 2007.

1. tribe3 macrumors 6502

Greetings.

I just purchased a new X1900 XT upgrade for my mac pro 2.66 at the AppleStore.(Just the card)

On my Apple Receipt ticket it says I have Warranty until "May 22, 2008" - that makes it 1 year.

It also says 1 year Warranty on the warranty booklet that came in the box with the card. Has this always been the case? I think I read here that it only comes with a 30 or 90 days warranty.

Also, I know that a lot of gamers are having problems with this card but I will be using it mostly for Aperture and CS3.

I do occasionally play an online game for old farts "Warbirds", but I don't believe it's so demanding on GC as WoW (I get 200/250 fps vs 50/70 with the Nvidia 7300 with all settings maxed out on a 23" Cinema)

My second question would be; are folks that use this card for working also having problems or is it mainly the gamers?

Bests,

Pablo

2. CyberPrey macrumors regular

Most of the people that I have talked to regarding this have been gamers. Specifically WoW gamers...

But that doesn't mean it isn't happening for other reasons... It just shows I live a sheltered life stuck behind a computer :)

3. dralbertqnixon macrumors newbie

my ati 1900 has worked fine for any game i've thrown at it. she's kinda dusty, but besides that - perfect for anything video-oriented.

4. tribe3 thread starter macrumors 6502

The card is amazing. I don't notice any difference in PS CS3 but Aperture runs much better. I didn't have time to test it with other apps but I opened 5 HD trailers at the same time and it runs them smoothly.

With Warbirds I get very high fps and the card doesn't seem to even brake a sweat; The fan goes up for a couple of seconds every once in a while but it stays quiet most of the time.

I know that faster and better stuff is on the horizon but this card is all I need and than some more.

Cheers.

5. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

EXTEND THE WARRANTY!!

These X1900's Apple is selling are breaking left and right.

Their fans run way to slow to cool the thing when the card is stressed which will dramatically reduce the life of the card.

Older ATI cards used to have problems with getting so hot their fans would melt, break, and fly apart while the computer was in operation. ATI has been doing this for years.

This is why Apple generally clocks down ATI cards. It's still something to worry about though.

So yes, extend the warranty. When the card blows up, they'll probably replace it with something new (provided it happens a year or so from now)!

6. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Warranty

How does one extend the warranty of a GPU?

F

7. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Good question.

My x1900 isn't from Apple so I wouldn't know. You should definitely find out though.