Ati X1900

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fingerm11, Sep 1, 2007.

1. fingerm11 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I bought an ATI X1900 graphics card for my Mac Pro, but I can't see any power connector on the Mac for it. I'd sure appreciate some advice on this. I've been using PCs for 25 years, but this is my first Mac.

Thanks,

fingerm11@verizon.net

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

There are two power connectors on the motherboard.

Here's a picture of my Mac Pro. You can see the black power cable coming in from the left through the fan mounting and connecting to one of the power connections on the motherboard.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Here's a better picture, also the cables are not standard as far as I know. Though if it's an Apple card it should come with one.

[​IMG]

3. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Just because it's not clear from your original message I thought I'd mention it...

You are aware that you can't simply use a normal "off the shelf" X1900 in a Mac Pro, right? Unless you bought that card from Apple you'll need to re-flash the BIOS on the card to get an EFI-compatible card which the Mac Pro requires.

Google search for the relevant terms will turn up plenty of articles on how to accomplish this. I've never done it myself, so I can't offer any specific advice. Just thought it was worth mentioning.