ATI X1950 is OUT!

alien2108

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
45
2
Maribor, Slovenia
Well after all it seems ATI X1900 order delays could be X1950 related!

ATI introduced new cards:
X1950XTX/CrossFire
X1900XT/256
X1650Pro

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTE0NCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Main thing for shure is LOW NOISE! Fan is said doesn't even move at idle!! :D

UPDATE:

MSI,Gigabyte,Sapphire,Asus pages were updated just minutes later!

Damn X1900/256Mb with low noise (no noise in idle, since fan is supposed to be still) for 250EUR sounds nice!
 

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2005
268
0
Columbus, OH
The cards don't seem to be available for retail until early/mid September...Think that the MacPro will show up sooner than on the merchant shelves? Sounds like a badass card though, great back-for-the-buck.
 

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
3,541
35
with Hamburglar.
That would be amazing. The price and performance of the X1950 are much better than the X1900. If we have to wait two months to get an inferior card...oh well, that's technology for ya.
 

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2006
1,098
0
carletonmusic said:
That would be amazing. The price and performance of the X1950 are much better than the X1900. If we have to wait two months to get an inferior card...oh well, that's technology for ya.
They can't do this to us!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
 

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
440
0
You know, I originally laughed at this theory, but now I unfortunately a) believe it and b) will be pissed the feck off if my Mac Pro arrives at my doorstep with its card already obselete.
 

jordansampson

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
97
0
edmonton
so i called apple to ask them. They said that they currently have no information on how long it will take for apple to start including X1950's. There is no plan in the works to upgrade their current mac pro graphics cards. One person i talked to said if she had to give me a number it would be in roughly two months, before apple started thinking about the X1950. Even then it would be in addition to the X1900. Of course this could all be BS, but its what the apple rep said.

its important to remember that though it was "released" today, it was only released in small numbers. It will not be until September 14th that they are available readily. And even then it will take a while for apple to support it.

I do understand that in the past Apple has surprised their customers with sudden last minute upgrades. But this was always done prior to shipping some. It would not be fair to the customers who have already received their pro’s to suddenly offer a free upgrade to certain people.

I wish it was true, but at this time im going to have to say that this is only a wish.
 

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
1,319
0
I have only 2 questions, 1- is it faster then the ones that ship with the mac pro? 2- can i install them on my mac pro? if both of the answers are yes i am intrested.
 

alien2108

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
45
2
Maribor, Slovenia
I am really glad I ordered stock 7300 card. Now we just have to wait to see what will happen with pending orders with X1900XT. I just wish you all with pending orders to be rewarded with X1950! :)

If not I can smell a lot of order cancelations....:eek:

I think Apple is still missing something between GeForce7300 and ATI X1900...They are just too much appart in performance/price.
 

sirnh

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
105
0
macgeek2005 said:
They can't do this to us!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
If Apple doesn't decide to swap out the 1900 for the 1950 at ship time, I wouldn't expect them to add the 1950 any time soon. Perhaps we will luck out and ATI will provide a shrink-wrapped UGA version of the 1950 on their own, like they have in the past.
 

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
440
0
jordansampson said:
so i called apple to ask them. They said that they currently have no information on how long it will take for apple to start including X1950's. There is no plan in the works to upgrade their current mac pro graphics cards. One person i talked to said if she had to give me a number it would be in roughly two months, before apple started thinking about the X1950. Even then it would be in addition to the X1900. Of course this could all be BS, but its what the apple rep said.
They know noooooooothing. It's like asking somebody at the Genius bar when an Apple product announcement is going to happen.
 

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
440
0
crazycat said:
I have only 2 questions, 1- is it faster then the ones that ship with the mac pro? 2- can i install them on my mac pro? if both of the answers are yes i am intrested.
1: Pretty significantly and provides much better antialiasing quality and speed.
2: Yeah, but unless it's coming from Apple it'll only work on the Boot Camp side of things.
 

Krevnik

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2003
3,376
701
macgeek2005 said:
They can't do this to us!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
They can, and they will. If they were really gonna jump on this card... would it have taken them nearly a year to just jump on the 6800s or the x1900 in the first place? ;)
 

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
477
0
Of course they're going to stick with a last-generation card, that means more profit for them and you have no other options.

That's why you didn't get an X1900 Mobility in your MBP (available since January, I believe) and you start out with a $30 (bulk wholesale) GPU in your $2500 desktop.
 

Pressure

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2006
3,994
262
Denmark
milozauckerman said:
Of course they're going to stick with a last-generation card, that means more profit for them and you have no other options.

That's why you didn't get an X1900 Mobility in your MBP (available since January, I believe) and you start out with a $30 (bulk wholesale) GPU in your $2500 desktop.
I think you miss something called total Thermal Design Power (TDP) of the entire system. This is especially important in a notebook as thin as the MacBook Pro.

Having a notebook only 1" thick doesn't leave room for the largest cooling solution and the ATI Mobility X1600 is by far the best trade-off between Frames Per Second (FPS) and Power consumption.

The ATI Mobility X1900 just doesn't fit within a Thermal Design as thin as the MacBook Pro.
 

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
477
0
Well, the first problem there is the continuing insistence on 1" at all costs - even when it means heat issues as the MBP has suffered from.

Anyway, I meant the x1800 - no mobility x1900 exists that I know of (announced but never marketed). Which doesn't seem to generate a great deal more heat or any other issues compared to the x1600 - it primarily costs more and works better for 3d (and Aperture, among other apps).
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,979
3
Gone but not forgotten.
With a little sarcasm and cynicism, I think that this is how the Mac Pro got a Radeon x1900. It was being replaced. Oh geez. :eek: :D

I'm glad that ATI has gone further but isn't this always the case. Apple buys what used to be or what has a problem being delievered or there is some other problem like being lower on memory than a similarly-priced Windows machine product.
 

Videographer

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
75
0
Grand Rapids, MI
From what I've been reading Mac users have always been getting last year's card at this year's new top prices. For Apple to put in the latest and greatest (before it's even available to the PC guys) without even mentioning it would be a serious break in the trend. But who knows... I look forward to reading about what ships out a week from now.
 

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
2,766
26
On the moon.
Videographer said:
From what I've been reading Mac users have always been getting last year's card at this year's new top prices. For Apple to put in the latest and greatest (before it's even available to the PC guys) without even mentioning it would be a serious break in the trend. But who knows... I look forward to reading about what ships out a week from now.
The ONLY time Apple had a card before the PC manufactuers was back in 99 with the ATi Rage 128 cards.
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,979
3
Gone but not forgotten.
Videographer said:
From what I've been reading Mac users have always been getting last year's card at this year's new top prices. For Apple to put in the latest and greatest (before it's even available to the PC guys) without even mentioning it would be a serious break in the trend. But who knows... I look forward to reading about what ships out a week from now.
Mostly, it has to do with the Apple Display Connector, which is no longer used. During the period where Apple was using the VGA connector or before there were standardised video cards, it wasn't a problem really. ATI was pretty good about keeping things level and other companies provided good solutions. Prior to the PowerMacs, there were quite a few high end (over $2000) solutions.

It would be interesting to find that Apple has chosen to include the x1950 instead of the x1900.
 

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
2,766
26
On the moon.
Everyone should probably chill.

There is no X1950XT card. Just the X1900 XT, and the X1950XTX. The only difference between this X1900XT and the one that Apple is shipping is the size of the RAM. The X1900 still has the same cooling system.

I sorta doubt Apple is going to bump all the orders up from the X1900XT to the X1950XTX, espcially since it wont be shipping till the 14th of next month, and you have to figure even then its gonna be hard to get because a lot of people are going to be buying them as soon as they land.

On another funnier note, its about TIME ATi designed their cooler like that. >.>' I have a cooler just like that. Its on my ATi Radeon 9800XT, but its made by Artic Cooling. :rolleyes:
 

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
440
0
bousozoku said:
With a little sarcasm and cynicism, I think that this is how the Mac Pro got a Radeon x1900. It was being replaced. Oh geez. :eek: :D
Funny thing is you're probably correct.