ATIRadeon X2000 Driver Support

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tetarchus, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Tetarchus macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I'm soon to be upgrading from my iMac to a Mac Pro. I do a lot of 3d modeling and animation as well as visual effects for films but have to use external computers to render due to the limitations of the iMac's memory.

I have been looking into upgrading the Graphics card from the standard to the ATI Radeon 4870HD and discovered that you can, quite easily get the cheaper PC and flash it to run on the Mac Pro.

My question is whether the newer 4870HD x2 is supported by the current ATI Drivers for mac, would they be the same as the 4870HD? The extra graphics power would help, and mean i wouldn't have to upgrade again for a few years.

If anyone can help, or point me in the right direction (i've been searching the web for the best part of the day trying to find out these facts but every web page that is returned is from nearly a year ago), it would be appreciated.

The ROM for the XFX 4870 - would that work too? It's effectively two of the 4870 cards working in tandem but I'm no expert on graphics cards.

Thanks

2. netkas macrumors 65816

u cant flash 4870x2 with 4870 rom

better look at 4890

3. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Wtf?

There is so many wtfs in your post,dont know what to say.

1st:sfx to films. you´re really doing some stuff with imac? 4k or 6k stuff?
    shake?nuke? everything you would do normally,would be way too much to imacs,macpros or even small sized farms? and memory has nothing to do with the rendering either.

2nd: you are doing that for living but are cheaping out and getting a 100$ cheaper PC card,flash it and call it a good,professional investment?

Sorry if I am missing something,but,you know,I just can´t connect the dots here?
    What progs are you using,why arent you using you companies computers for the composing/rendering,why are you risking you business with getting non-standardized equipment (you will get no support when calling to the program vendors and saying you are using non-standardized parts in you rig).

Or are you doing just 3d modeling for third parties and looking for some speedup in the initial process?
    Curious.