Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDance511

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2007
California soon
Try "visiting the south"??? Uhhhh mind looking at my location to the left.
""Right winged ***holes"...... LOL!!!! Looks like we just found the real root of your anger. It's O.K. though. I wont hold you responsible. It must be your "environment

.... okay first off.. I DONT care where your from
Second.. i know how it is because i have lived in lousisianna and texas and florida for most of my life...and i also know that the south are the only states that support the barabric death penalty and im sorry if you dont like what i say or if you somehow think that what you have to say is any better than what i have to say because its not...but the south has always been 2nd class..they supported slavery..they supported RACISM for the longest time more than any place and if it wasn't then howcome after the civil war a big majority of slaves migrated north..because they knew it would be better... all the way back to the 1800's when they were to f***** lazy to do any work themselves... oh and lets not forget good ole rosa parks in the 1900's when she wouldnt get out of a seat and they sent her to jail...cuz she wouldnt move for a white person..and go ahead and mock me because i used the word environment.....atmosphere WHATEVER.....do i recall anything famous happening like that in the north? No?Where did the KKK come from? The south..all im saying is that the south is a HUB for racism eve nthough ium sure it has its good people..time and history reapeat itself okay and it has...and to say what your saying like what i am saying has no truth..wel thats a lie...so just...read this enjoy it..sorry if i sound like an idiot but i really do not know how to respond to this but i DO know this deserves a response

poopyhead

macrumors 6502a
Try "visiting the south"??? Uhhhh mind looking at my location to the left.
""Right winged ***holes"...... LOL!!!! Looks like we just found the real root of your anger. It's O.K. though. I wont hold you responsible. It must be your "environment

.... okay first off.. I DONT care where your from
Second.. i know how it is because i have lived in lousisianna and texas and florida for most of my life...and i also know that the south are the only states that support the barabric death penalty and im sorry if you dont like what i say or if you somehow think that what you have to say is any better than what i have to say because its not...but the south has always been 2nd class..they supported slavery..they supported RACISM for the longest time more than any place and if it wasn't then howcome after the civil war a big majority of slaves migrated north..because they knew it would be better... all the way back to the 1800's when they were to f***** lazy to do any work themselves... oh and lets not forget good ole rosa parks in the 1900's when she wouldnt get out of a seat and they sent her to jail...cuz she wouldnt move for a white person..and go ahead and mock me because i used the word environment.....atmosphere WHATEVER.....do i recall anything famous happening like that in the north? No?Where did the KKK come from? The south..all im saying is that the south is a HUB for racism eve nthough ium sure it has its good people..time and history reapeat itself okay and it has...and to say what your saying like what i am saying has no truth..wel thats a lie...so just...read this enjoy it..sorry if i sound like an idiot but i really do not know how to respond to this but i DO know this deserves a response

strangely enough New York had a large slave population before the civil war (in fact slavery was not isolated only in the south)
secondly detroit and many other norther cities had large riots during the civil rights movement
third the mid west has a large number of KKK scum
only a very small part of the population in the south ever owned slaves
slavery did not truly become a basis for the civil war until it had alread begun and the north was having a difficult time finding new recruits
and if a large majority of the slaves migrated north then why does the south have a greater population of african americans?

oh
and the death penalty is not local phenomenon

as I stated I am multi racial and I live in and have grown up in atlanta
I feel that my statements possibly do carry more weight than your opinion based on one visit

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
I recommend the clairmont lounge
simply for the culture

Ha! I hope the sunfast knows sarcasm when he see it! :)

ATL is better when you know someone to show you around - it's harder to jump in and see the best bits as a tourist in a short time (NY being the opposite).

I don't recommend much in downtown ATL, unless you want to see the Fox, or if you like Jazz go to Churchill Grounds, or maybe some clubs. One of the big hotels has a viewing platform and restaurant up top so you can see the whole city (i forget which hotel). The Acquarium is also kinda cool in a Disneyish way.

Midtown is full of great restaurants, bars etc. Apres Diem, opposite Piedmont park, is great; as is the Park Tavern in summer.
Little Five Points is also cool - and yeah, Vortex is the place for a burger that's for sure.
Getting a little further out, Decatur is small but nice, and Brickstore is the place for beer.
Buckhead... well... most places can be pretty pretentious, but some are cool.

If you get out there, Stone Mountain is really just a rock, but it gives you a good view of the whole area on a clear day.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
I am from Atlanta, and well, yeah, it's just not a fun place to go. It truly is a working city and there's very little to do tourist-wise.

A good place for a drink/sushi is Twist which is next to Lenox Mall (which also has the Apple Store). Don't bother with the Mall of Georgia, it just is BIG but nothing interesting there.

The CNN center is neat, I suppose. Some people enjoy checking out The World of Coke, but I never found it all that fun.

There's Little Five Points for the younger crowd (teens - mid twenties), but it's always intersting and has some great places to eat.

I haven't been yet, but there's the GEORGIA AQUARIUM now that everyone tells me is worth a visit...it's one of the biggest (or is it the biggest?) in the world.

And lastly, there's the Botantical Garden which is really nice depending what type of year it is.

HAVE FUN!

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
No clue on the fun stuff, but for more serious sightseeing, I'd go to the Aquarium (largest on the planet) and the King Center (to put all the above rants into context).

The Aquarium is big, yes. And apart from the sad death of a whale shark and a beluga whale, it remains impressive. But i was dissappointed in the fact that it felt like a theme-park, and there was really no educational information at all beside the exhibits. But still good for some oohing and aahing.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Underground is fun!

Be sure to go to the Coke factory!

I live in Georgia, so I'm used to it.

Just be careful. Atlanta is a dangurus city home to the Bloods!

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
First off, dont judge the rest of the states on Atlanta. I have been all over the USA and Atlanta is hands down my least favorite city in the whole country.

It likes to call itself the "New York City of the south" but it is so far away from being even close that the slogan is a joke.

The racial tension is horrible causing an uneasy feeling wherever you go.

Youll be fine but I just wanted to point this out.

My advice is to get your work done then travel somewhere else to a better city.

i lived there for 6 years and loved it! :rolleyes:

least favorite city in the country? ever been to detroit, youngstown, or jacksonville? :p

to each his own i guess....

-::ubermann::-

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
I went to Atlanta last tear... I am half Hispanic and White but i look hispanic... I was there my 3rd day and random guy told me that us ****** mexicans are taking up the whole south and making whites the minority... So i replied to the racist man excuse me but I am just trying to get back to my hotel and he just looked at me...now if i was not a passivist i would of hit him in the face for that..the moral of the story though is that even though that was only one person..saying something that extreme only comes from a racist environment...and its very displeasing...and maybe i dont want to spoil your experience..but if you can go somewhere else.. houston is wonderful as is new orleans as suggested above earlier...and chicago.. NYC... just telling you about my experience though...

i didnt know that there is a ''hispanic'' look, i mean there are blacks, native americans, whites within hispanics :rolleyes:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
i lived there for 6 years and loved it! :rolleyes:

least favorite city in the country? ever been to detroit, youngstown, or jacksonville? :p

to each his own i guess....

Jacksonville, at least, has the beaches and Detroit has Ontario on the other side of the river. I'm afraid there is no quick escape from Youngstown or Atlanta.

There are plenty of uninteresting places all over the world, though. Aren't we expecting a lot that every place should entertain us?

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
I'll be moving from Vancouver to Atlanta for grad school. I like a city that inspires controversy, but I'm a little worried about what I hear otherwise (greedy/competitive). I should probably be even more worried that I don't have a car.

How does it go for Southern culture? A lot of southern literature has an atonality that I just love, but then I hear that it's sort of disconnected from the idea of the south.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'll be moving from Vancouver to Atlanta for grad school. I like a city that inspires controversy, but I'm a little worried about what I hear otherwise (greedy/competitive). I should probably be even more worried that I don't have a car.

How does it go for Southern culture? A lot of southern literature has an atonality that I just love, but then I hear that it's sort of disconnected from the idea of the south.

Travel away from the main road to see the real south. The only real city in GA I've seen that's close to civilisation and hasn't forgot its heritage is Savannah.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz

I moved from Australia to Atlanta, so i'd be the first to point out what i don't like about ATL and what it is missing (beaches, for one). But overall, it is a suprisingly cool city - an oasis in the south. Though you NEED a car in this city, there is no doubt about that, there is plenty to do in town (restaurants, clubs, shops, parks etc.) and it's a short drive up to the mountains if that is your thing, and as mentioned Savannah is not too far. The Gulf is also in driving distance for some real beaches. :)

I think you'll mostly enjoy it Marble. Where are you going to grad school?

Edit: hang on, your location say AZ :confused:

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Ah, home = AZ. Undergrad = Vancouver.

I'll be going to Georgia Tech, which has kind of a miserable reputation as well. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.