Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Moof1904 said:
The dumber the gun, the better. I would never trust my life to a "Smartgun."

Here's a rock. No moving parts!
;)

Smartguns are a good idea in theory, but in practice I have yet to see any actually work as advertised.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
Please don't confuse an argument for the right to bear arms with an argument in favor of murder or violent crime.

Punani

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
Los Angeles
While I mean no offense to Ashley Smith, the hostage who Brian Nichols held captive for hours...

I'm worried that her persistent media coverage is implying a made-for-TV movie in the coming months. I mean it is wonderful that she was able to reason and talk with her captor, but I just fear that she will become a pawn (or rather a willing pawn) in profit mongering.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
combatcolin said:
Americans and guns :confused:

The right to bear arms to protect yourself from the other guy with the right to bear arms. :confused:

Madness :eek:

This is in no way a RKBA debate. The suspect grabbed a gun off a Sheriff's deputy, not from someone's unlocked storage area.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Punani said:
While I mean no offense to Ashley Smith, the hostage who Brian Nichols held captive for hours...

I'm worried that her persistent media coverage is implying a made-for-TV movie in the coming months. I mean it is wonderful that she was able to reason and talk with her captor, but I just fear that she will become a pawn (or rather a willing pawn) in profit mongering.

Ashley was very brave and deserves praise. Her ordeal would make a good made for TV movie. Hopefully she will share in the profits, or at least get paid for her story. She already has a lawyer, so her interests are being looked after.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Here's a little to-do list for the folks in Fulton County government, and other interested parties who don't wish to be murdered at work:

- Hire only men, preferably over 6'3" and 225 lbs. for public safety positions

- Pay them enough to make it worthwhile

- Train them properly

- Fire any public safety personnel who can't see their shoes while standing, or has sciatica from wearing a gun belt. While this is a rich Fulton Co. policing tradition, it should go the way of Vicki Lawrence.

- Make our justice system colorblind. Secure all persons accused of violent crimes, or with a history of violent crime, with leg and handcuffs at all times, regardless of racial, sexual, or religious background, and double those chains and put a hood on them if they come from a traditionally suspect group regardless of racial, sexual, or religious background.

- Hire judges who believe that criminals of all ages should be punished.

- Cut back on the parade of restrictions placed on people with Georgia CCW permits.

- Save another deputy and judge's life. This suspect should immediately be furnished with two bullets in the back of his head. Trials are benefits reserved for civilization. Send a message that we are not in Colombia (see also...District of)

If this list doesn't make sense to you, volunteer to be placed in a correctional facility for a period of 7 days, and then re-read the list.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Moof1904 said:
Smartguns are a really, really, really bad idea. Smartguns would malfunction far more readly or be subject to jamming by an assailant.

The dumber the gun, the better. I would never trust my life to a "Smartgun."
No, smart guns are a really, really, really good idea. There just hasn't been sufficient reason to develop good ones. The technology exists. Certainly, at least, the technology exists to keep someone from quickly firing a gun they've just removed from someone else.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
mactastic said:
This is in no way a RKBA debate. The suspect grabbed a gun off a Sheriff's deputy, not from someone's unlocked storage area.

Don't know what RKBA is.

But it i do know that police in America do need guns to protect themselves from the public's right to bear arms.

And as the war of independance was pretty conclusive in its results, and Native Indians don't really threaten the expansion of the railroads....

...then why do Americans still need guns?

Now as a Brit who isn't even allowed to look at a firearm let alone fire one, i would like to one day fire one, but the concept of a handgun (and in rare cases ASSAULT RIFLES????!!!!????) in every other house?

Scary.

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
i live in atlanta right down the street from where he was caught since its happened thats like all theyve been talking about on the news

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
jiv3turkey748 said:
i live in atlanta right down the street from where he was caught since its happened thats like all theyve been talking about on the news
Yes, I think there was maybe just a little bit of national media coverage of it as well.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Punani said:

I also mean no offense to her, but I'm not going to gasp in surprise when, a few months down the line here, Playboy announces a pictorial featuring Ashley Smith. That seems to be the usual pattern for these kinds of stories.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Lyle said:
I also mean no offense to her, but I'm not going to gasp in surprise when, a few months down the line here, Playboy announces a pictorial featuring Ashley Smith. That seems to be the usual pattern for these kinds of stories.

From what I have heard of Ashley, a pictorial review of her is very unlikely. It would make me very sad if she did.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Well it would make for a great movie, a lot better than the offal "Hostage" with Bruce Willis.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Lacero said:
Well it would make for a great movie, a lot better than the offal "Hostage" with Bruce Willis.

Yes, I can definitely see a made for TV movie made out of her story. She definitely deserves to be paid for her story. Hopefully she will get the reward money also, being a widowed single money it is definitely needed and deserved.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I'd love if my life were made into a movie. Sort of like Erin Brockovich and Jerry McGuire. But I don't think anybody would pay full admission price to see my life on the big screen. OR would they???

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Lacero said:
I'd love if my life were made into a movie. Sort of like Erin Brockovich and Jerry McGuire. But I don't think anybody would pay full admission price to see my life on the big screen. OR would they???

I'm willing to listen to your story. What unusual thing has happened in your life that would make a good made for TV movie?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
mactastic said:
I could show you in under 30 seconds. It's not hard.

I know from personal experience that is isn't all that easy to shoot a gun. For safety the shot needs to be accurate. The gun also needs to be cleaned properly for safe use.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I shot with a high powered rifle before. It was in some kids backyard. The kid was wearing a white shirt. I thought about shooting him because I would have loved to see the blood stain such a nice bright, white shirt. But I was sane, so my conscience told me not to shoot him, but seriously, I really wanted to.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
wdlove said:
I know from personal experience that is isn't all that easy to shoot a gun.

And I know from experience that it's pretty easy to show someone how to shoot a properly cared for firearm.

For safety the shot needs to be accurate.

Saftey for whom? The shooter (particularly one who doesn't care about his/her own life) is pretty safe by virtue of being behind the firearm. Sure it's less safe for those around if the shooter isn't accurate, but do you really think this kid was in any danger because he wasn't aiming all that well?

The gun also needs to be cleaned properly for safe use.

I would assume that the gun was cared for by the kid's grandfather.

Look, it goes like this: Here's the clip, here's the slide and slide release. Here's the saftey. Here's the trigger, there's the target.

I didn't say I could teach proper shooting technique in 30 seconds, just that I could show someone how to squeeze off a few in that time frame. I don't see how you can doubt that.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
mactastic said:
I didn't say I could teach proper shooting technique in 30 seconds, just that I could show someone how to squeeze off a few in that time frame. I don't see how you can doubt that.

Now with that explanation, I have no doubt of your ability. Definitely not a shooter that I would want to be any where near.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.