Atlanta Verizon LTE vs. AT&T LTE

Discussion in 'iPad' started by drpthemc, Mar 19, 2012.

1. drpthemc macrumors member

Haven't really seen speeds from Atlanta from either carrier. JW what my fellow Atliens are getting.

Me:
    Verizon LTE: DL: 20.65 mbps, UL: 10.86

Thanks

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It all depends on where you are in Atlanta.

Signal strength is everything.

3. deuk1219 macrumors regular

I also live in Metro Atlanta (Gwinnett), and I was wondering which LTE would be faster. I know that AT&T coverage is awesome in Atlanta, and Verizon's LTE is awesome too. Which one is faster in Atlanta?

4. deuk1219 macrumors regular

5. iphone4sATT macrumors newbie

Blazing in ATL

Hit 59 Mps download on AT&T near Northpoint mall this afternoon!

[​IMG]

6. drpthemc thread starter macrumors member

Hmmmmm 45 Mbps DL is amazing with AT&T lte.. might consider switching if this is consistent..

So hard to decide.. stick with VZW or switch to AT&T?!?! ahh

7. deuk1219 macrumors regular

8. drpthemc thread starter macrumors member

iPhone4satt..

What made u get AT&T over Verizon? What speeds are u getting when LTE isn't available?

Thanks

9. aka777 macrumors 6502a

The other thing to remember is that AT&T only has 10MHZ bandwidth in most markets, so as more and more LTE customers come on board, it will be 3G all over again. Hardly anyone is using their network right now.

Whereas, Verizon owns 20MHZ nationwide meaning that they can handle double the customers.

10. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Definitely AT&T LTE since Atlanta is home to AT&T. You'll have faster LTE service and so far no overcrowding.

11. drpthemc thread starter macrumors member

interesting.. will verizon lte in atlanta become faster since vzw is growing and they use 20mhz?

12. aka777 macrumors 6502a

At this point in time, having more bandwidth means they can handle more users per base station, with less congestion.

Since AT&T's LTE is new and few people are using the network, they will do fine for now.

For me it's more of a personal thing, as I just do not like how AT&T treats their customers like piggy-banks.

13. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

AT&T data coverage is terrible in Georgia. Most of their coverage is concentrated in and around the Atlanta area for LTE, HSPA, and HSPA+ data. For everywhere else and the in-between places (including highways and parts of the interstate, EDGE data and voice calling is all anyone can hope to expect. From personal experiences with AT&T, I could barely scrap by with GPRS on my iPhone 4. The same applies to T-Mobile in Georgia as well.

I got one postcard this past December from AT&T and set myself up for disappointment by getting excited. I finally thought that all the "Mark the Spot" reports I made in the last year would amount to a MicroCell. Instead, I got this printed note from AT&T's Georgia regional VP thanking me for being their customer and some note about the 35,000 worthless people under their employment here.

I, personally, was kind of hopeful about 700mhz LTE for AT&T to the point of renewing my contract for a Lumia 900 (when it's ever released). I live on a fringe AT&T 2G/3G area. I get 3-4 bars of 2G ... and 1-2 bars of 3G at home. I'm probably going to buy a Galaxy Nexus and keep my options open to go back to T-Mobile, a smaller GSM carrier, or heck, even, Cincinnati Bell (Yeah, thinking out of the box there ... I'd like to think there's a relative that will add me a line).

AT&T treats their customers terribly. The retail staff at their store are terrible to the point I'm surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit. They've treated me horribly. Their telephone/internet support is incompetent. They're a rotten to the core, penny pinching accounting firm with a telecommunications front or a publicly traded company.

If I were to buy an iPad in the state of Georgia, I'd go with the Verizon LTE model. You'll have great rural coverage in the 85% of Georgia that isn't Metro Atlanta with the advantage of LTE in a more concentrated populated area. As a bonus, with the Verizon LTE model, you can put in an AT&T SIM in it and enjoy (or hate) AT&T's 2G/3G GSM network as well.

At least give yourself the option if you choose the Verizon model, you have the option of having the most coverage and fastest speeds with either AT&T or Verizon.

14. drpthemc thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the honest feedback..

i just ran a speed test @ 9:22PM and peaked at 38.78 DL and 14.71 UL (Sugar Hill Server)

your statement about how verizon has more coverage in rural areas is what drew me over to verizon.. plus the hotspot feature is such a great bonus.. only if the plans on verizon was on par with at&t. :(

i've already used 45 mb by just going to cnn.com and running 10 speed tests! that's just insane.. hope i don't burn through my measly 1gb within a week.. jeez

either way, verizon speeds are pretty good fwiw .. still in testing phase but my gut is telling me to stick with verizon even though i'm not getting as much data.

cheers.

15. Mac Eagle macrumors member

I'm on Verizon LTE:

In downtown area near GT I got 12.02 down and 7 up. (in same area my ATT 3g, excuse me, 4G is so bad I can barely get any data through on my 4S)

In Alpharetta area, also near NP Mall, I got 30.32 down and 15.35 up.

16. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Precisely the crap I cannot stand with AT&T. They clearly have this notion that the consumer is dumb, therefore, can package and sell them anything -- snake oil.

17. nigelquest macrumors member

Got 58 down downtown yesterday and getting between 20-50 down in Alpharetta around Windward. On AT&T.

18. drpthemc thread starter macrumors member

we're you ever reverted back to verizon 3g? if so, what were the speeds like?

----------

that's pretty amazing..

what made you decide on the at&t version?

19. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Pretty much sums it up. I had a look at Washington County Georgia for example and AT&T only has 10MHZ of spectrum for LTE. In Muscogee County, they have 0 spectrum for LTE; Verizon has 50MHZ.

Even in Atlanta. AT&T has 30MHZ total for LTE, while Verizon has 50 MHZ; 70 Mhz if they complete the purchase of spectrum from the cable companies.

20. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

My brother lives in Atlanta...he has an apartment with a balcony that faces an AT&T corporate office....he has an AT&T iphone. He has 1-2 bars on his phone at any given time in his apartment mainly 2 bars if he is directly on the balcony.......AT&T is very ambitious when it comes to coverage. I have an AT&T iphone but I opted for the Verizon iPad. I can get the best coverage with att tethering and Verizon lte, living in Memphis, Tn, LTE has been amazing.....especially on highways.....just cause people are having good speeds in atl, doesn't mean that it's going to last.....

21. nigelquest macrumors member

[/COLOR] that's pretty amazing.. what made you decide on the at&t version?[/QUOTE]

I was definitely impressed: ) I was getting over 50 at my home in Alpharetta last night. The extra Gig of data, that ATT LTE is in almost every city I travel too for business, the faster average speeds on LTE and most importantly the fall back to a faster network. My sons has a Verizon iPhone and I have AT&T. My speeds are always much faster.

You read people saying that ATT doesnt have good coverage outside of major cities, but that hasnt been my experience. Between Savannah and Atlanta I consistently averaged 2-8mbps down the whole way. Even in the middle of nowhere. Had similar experiences in other cities around the country. Verizon has better coverage, but it is just too slow to me.

22. fan09 macrumors newbie

I didn't get the AT&T iPad, because the AT&T signal is terrible in the area (Emory) that I work in. In fact, my phone doesn't get signal at all, even if I am on the top of my building. And there are many dead spots around the campus. (All this is the for the voice. I don't know about 4G though.)

The Verizon 4G LTE on the iPad has been pretty good so far! Yet to do a speed analysis.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

With my AT&T ipad2 I don't recall having any issues with availability of data or speed in the places I'd needed it. No complaints. I also rarely used more than 1GB of the $25/2GB data (not available any more unless you kept it active). In years past, Verizon signal was awful at my house, AT&T full signal even in the basement. Important for cellphones, not so important for a data device as I wouldn't usually use cellular data at home.

Since the AT&T $25/2GB plan is gone, Verizon's 1GB/$20 plan seems a better fit to my needs.

Anyone have any reason not to give it a shot? Coverage maps in the areas I frequent are pretty much a wash between the two.