Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
I just asked Siri what time is it and it replied with this (attached). I like it, didn't realise it was today..
So came here and found this article.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 97

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
So every time I get mad and yell at Siri, I'll have this sweet lady's face in my head.. :(

jweinraub

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Sol III
I am surprised in her contract Apple ever allowed for this kind of disclosure or reveal. Now that Siri has a face it changes things. Siri was I suppose a kind of AI character, an Apple mascot, a virtual assistant that existed in your phone. The mystique is gone, now it just some lady...

She had no contract with Apple. She was hired by GM Voices at the article plainly states. Apple bought the rights from Nuance that licensed it to Apple. She had no idea Apple even used her voice until her friends told her so, also stated in the article!

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I doubt she's even seeing any royalties for being used for Siri.

Her quote "I wasn't sure where I stood legally" certainly implies that she doesn't get anything for it.

The iOS 7 Siri voice (apparently not her) sounds like the voice actress recorded some of the phrasing specifically for Siri's witty answers to silly inputs. She sounds... almost snarkier sometimes. Say "thank you" and she'll sound pleased with herself.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Ha, I wish it was Samuel L. Jackson's voice, would really have good time playing with siri.

siri : What Does Marcellus Wallace Look Like?

Set Sam L Jackson as your lockscreen with an alarm titled "Press snooze again. I dare you. I doubledare you muthaphuqqa."

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
She had no contract with Apple. She was hired by GM Voices at the article plainly states. Apple bought the rights from Nuance that licensed it to Apple. She had no idea Apple even used her voice until her friends told her so, also stated in the article!

Doesn't change my point at all. The lengths and layers of lawyer proofing Apple has to go to and apply to everything they do, keeping the identity of the Siri voice under wraps could have, should have been a priority. She is one bad Youtube video away from screwing them over. Not suggesting she will, but just making a point.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
It's a bit OT but anybody interested in voices that have long tenure and pop up in many places might be interested in this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Barbe

Jane was also the voice of WWV/WWVH, the NIST shortwave time stations that were really important before GPS (for surveyors, navigators and the like, who needed to know, really know, what time it was). They still operate, and it's still Jane's voice.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
She didn't record it for Apple. She recorded it for Scansoft in 2005, and then SRI used it in their Siri software, which was bought by Apple in 2010.

I remember the original SIRI app, I don't remember it talking? I thought that was the part Apple added when they released it bundled with the iPhone 4S?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Doesn't change my point at all. The lengths and layers of lawyer proofing Apple has to go to and apply to everything they do, keeping the identity of the Siri voice under wraps could have, should have been a priority. She is one bad Youtube video away from screwing them over. Not suggesting she will, but just making a point.

What about those Microsoft commercials where Siri keeps saying "Hey, I can't do that"? That sounds like they used the actual voice. So if people want to make silly YouTube videos, they already can.

Uh no, I don't want to be constantly yelled at. :D

Hah. Can you imagine? "Man, I TOLD you to turn left back there!"

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I am surprised in her contract Apple ever allowed for this kind of disclosure or reveal. Now that Siri has a face it changes things. Siri was I suppose a kind of AI character, an Apple mascot, a virtual assistant that existed in your phone. The mystique is gone, now it just some lady...

Oh get a grip.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

Life will never be the same as we know it.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
You understand that's not how it works? She was probably payed one time for recordings of her voice, saying hundreds of things like "th" "mer" "ka" ki" etc etc.. for the probable use in an AI years ago, and then Apple bought it. She has no actual interaction with Apple. I doubt she's even seeing any royalties for being used for Siri.

The male voice actor who did the sound for the UK's Siri was announced within a week of its release. It's really not a big deal. Robots don't just have their own voices. They have to come from someone.

Until now I actually thought it was a fully synthesized voice (I don't have Siri on my phone, so haven't heard much of 'her') and not just merging recordings of individual phonemes. So yeah, I did think robots had their own voices.. :eek:

Dangerzone

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2011
Voices I wouldn't mind hearing for Siri:
Anyone with a "Don LaFontaine" like voice
Jen Taylor
Paul Bettany (Voice of J.A.R.V.I.S)
William Daniels (voice of KITT)
Majel Barrett (Star Trek, but she passed away in 2008)
Jeremy Clarkson

Simon Pegg:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.