Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mooseiah

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
San Diego, CA
I currently have a Mid-2010 iMac that I am using a Kanex XD to play my Playstation and Xbox on, and being limited to 720p is frustrating and doesn't do the display justice. In my research I found the Atlona AT-HD620 which is able to scale a 1080p image up the the iMacs 2560x1440 resolution. Not a perfect solution either but in my reading of reviews and comparisons it seems to offer better quality than the Kanex or similar.

Now the only problem is it's been discontinued, and neither a call to Atlona nor checking the usual places to get one used yielded any results. I haven't been able to find any other products that will do the same thing, or a source for the AT-HD620 that still has any available. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Mooseiah

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
San Diego, CA
Did even more research and it seems the AT-HD620 is the only thing that will do the trick. If anyone has a lead on where to source one still that would be much appreaciated!

Mooseiah

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
San Diego, CA
What about one of these?

http://uk.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/Active-HDMI-or-DVI-to-DisplayPort-Converter~HDMI2DP

EDIT: I suspect that's going to show a 1920x1800 pixel image on the iMac is it? Does the iMac scale to full screen input signals less than 2560x1440 in resolution?

The issue there is it only supports resolutions up to 1920x1200, which is no good for a 2010 27" iMac as it will only accept 720p or 1440p inputs via the mini-display port.

The Atlona AT-HD620 takes the 1080p input and scales it up to 1440p, which is what is needed, or another device that could do similar, but also then is to Mini-Display port. Always a bummer when things go out of production.

Mooseiah

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2014
San Diego, CA
Still haven't had any luck in sourcing one of these anywhere I look. If anyone could point me in the right direction to get one I would be super thankful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.