atomic browser<iCab

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by matt90036, May 12, 2011.

1. matt90036 macrumors regular

Do you guys also feel that atomic browser could be so much better bit is not developed much by the owner? I feel like the UI is not as smooth as iCab.

2. weenie macrumors member

I have just switched to iCab Mobile from Safari recently, and don't think I will switch back anytime soon. I am happy with iCab...

I tried Atomic when it first came out, but never got on personally.

3. EmmEff macrumors regular

I moved Safari from my dock and replaced it with iCab, which has worked well until finding out that the JavaScript update from iOS 4.3 doesn't work on anything but Safari. Also, I cannot use iCab to post on some vBulletin forums :(

4. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Is icab any better than atomic at downloading files while in the background? In atomic, if I'm downloading a large file and switch to another app, the download quits. Very annoying, since it means I either can't dl large files or can't do anything else on my iPad while they're downloading.

5. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

I'm curious ...... can you sync your safari bookmarks with any of these browsers?

6. weenie macrumors member

Not automatically, as far as I know. And that was the main reason it took me a long time to switch since I am spoiled with MobileMe.

At the end, I decided to try iCab anyway and looked into the import process. All you need is a common WiFi connection, and you could export the bookmarks over to iPad very fast.

I just add new bookmarks to devices that connect to MobileMe, and export to iCab once a while.

I do wish MobileMe would work with iCab, but that might be a long shot...

7. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

That's why I ended up abandoning Skyfire on my iphone. I have a number of computers and I use Xmarks to sync all of the bookmarks up. Even if I did import my bookmarks over, I'd have to keep redoing it to keep it current. I'd love more functionality in my browser, but the fact that it wouldn't at least somehow sync with safari is a deal breaker for me. It seems like that would be a must for any 3rd party browser but maybe Apple won't allow it.

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It's a bit harder with Atomic. You have to upload your bookmarks onto Atomic's website and then do some sort of sync with the app on your phone/iPad. It's not terribly difficult, but sometimes a pain. But until there are tabs in Safari (among other things), I'm going to keep using a 3rd party browser.

9. weenie macrumors member

I was at that phase, but (for me) I looked at how many websites I actually frequent on daily basis. And I saw the benefits of more convenient and customizable browser outweighed the bookmarks issue.

Of course, YMMV... I could tell you that I am more happy with iCab so far. And the infrequent time when I clicked on a link in emails, and Safari popped up, it felt weird :)

10. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's always a tradeoff with these sorts of things when it comes to functionality. And as far as Safari occasionally popping up, it's a tiny bit like an old girlfriend showing up at the same time at a restaurant when you're with the new one!

11. weenie macrumors member

please... You are cracking me up :D

12. EmmEff macrumors regular

+1

The better browser far outweighs any bookmark syncing issues.

13. matt90036 thread starter macrumors regular

Here is the dealbreaker for me with Atomic:
    1. Atomic cant save videos into apple photo app
    2. The tabbed browsing feels ugly in Atomic and it is much smoother in iCab.
    perhaps if the developer allowed saving videos to apples photo app and the tabs would stay invisible when i am browsingq one website it wouod help.

14. pruppert macrumors 6502

pruppert

You can somewhat get around this by using the following bookmarklet in Safari

http://www.icab.de/blog/page/12/

Alternatively, you can get around this totally by using the browser changer tweak if you're jailbroken.

15. weenie macrumors member

Thanks a lot for the info on the blog, but to be honest, I have no idea how to implement the bookmarklet - not well versed with HTML issues...

I did jailbreak an iPhone last year to use SIM card from another provider but I just haven't found a good reason to jailbreak my iPad (yet)