Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hurpy_derp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2019
Running on iOS 12.2, the battery went from 100 to 0% in a single night in low power mode with nothing running, and while actually using it it tends to go down about 20-30% per hour. The maximum capacity is 85%, is the battery normally this bad and could it possibly be because of the iOS version?

hurpy_derp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2019
p2LLSyS.png

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I agree. First what is your battery health? Has the battery ever been replaced? Take your phone into apple for some diagnostics, is what I would do.

hurpy_derp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2019
I agree. First what is your battery health? Has the battery ever been replaced? Take your phone into apple for some diagnostics, is what I would do.
it's 85%, will definitely be replacing it soon, phone is bought second hand so i i've got no idea what kind of battery this is

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
it's 85%, will definitely be replacing it soon, phone is bought second hand so i i've got no idea what kind of battery this is

Even at 85%, complete overnight drain is not normal.

You left the flashlight (torch) on all night and it killed your battery. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: CreamEggBear

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I've done experiments before in the past on my 4 year old ip6+, testing to see how little the battery could drop overnight.

I turned ON Low Power Mode and turned ON Airplane Mode (to disable background transmitting & receiving) and locked my phone & went to bed.

The next morning the battery percent drops either 1% or sometimes not at all. A few times I noticed it dropped 2%. This is with the original 4 year old battery with over 1100 discharge cycles on it.

Even if an old battery has 85% battery wear, that's only 15% less capacity than new.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Once a lithium battery health reach 80-85%, you can no longer rely on it. Despite the number saying 85%, the reliability of the battery’s chemicals are a different story. They’re not directly translated to 85% capacity left. So replace the battery.

hurpy_derp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2019
Per your screenshot, your flashlight used 96% of your battery so you either forgot to shut if off or something is wrong with the flashlight app.
it was the app that caused 96% of the battery usage, not that it drained 96% of it

EasternGangsta

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2019
My 6s after 3 years of usage shows 81% battery health. I am not even sure how reliable this is given the battery health update came like 1 year after I bought the phone. The device is completely unusable. Even with all the battery tweaks, disabled geo location and what not the battery vanishes before my eyes. I estimate it can do 1 hour SoT max.

It started with iOS12. The battery took a huge hit for some reason and from there it went downhill fast. I would expect some noticable degradation after 2 years of usage but this is imo way too much. I was a pretty light user.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
it was the app that caused 96% of the battery usage, not that it drained 96% of it

Are you serious with this? What you just stated is the same thing. The app used 96% of your battery from 100% to 0%. The flashlight drained your battery. It's right there in your screenshots. Even a crappy battery isn't going to drain your phone in overnight with no usage. I'm not sure what you're trying to convince yourself of here.

Has it happened since? If so, let's see the battery info.

Last edited:

hurpy_derp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2019
Are you serious with this? What you just stated is the same thing. The app used 96% of your battery from 100% to 0%. The flashlight drained your battery. It's right there in your screenshots. Even a crappy battery isn't going to drain your phone in overnight with no usage. I'm not sure what you're trying to convince yourself of here.

Has it happened since? If so, let's see the battery info.
i'm telling you that no apps drained the battery, the number is always going to be 100%, here's a screenshot of it still being 72% even though it's in the charger
hfqn9Pm.png

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Make an appointment at your local Apple store -or send it in if you have to- and get the battery changed. End of.
I just had the battery changed on my 6S+ which was showing 81% and which would go about 1.5 hours between charges and it now can go at least a whole day. No issues with anything on latest OS (but then I didn't anyway).
It will cost you under $50 depending where you are.
Lithium ion batteries work well until they are nearly drained right up to the point where they are at the end of their life and then performance effectively falls off a cliff. It isn't linear and it's just gets a little bit worse: they are awful
There really is nothing else to be said about it. A 6S with a healthy battery should work perfectly on the latest OS so if it doesn't then you have other issues, and that battery is dead. (altogether now- it has ceased to be, joined the choir invisible etc. )
Oh maybe I could add that the recommendation is to change them when they go under 85% and in the battery health app where it gives you the percentage, you should have a message just under the figure telling you that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.