ATT 1 year upgrade policy change

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vertigomhs, Oct 6, 2011.

1. vertigomhs macrumors member

for the past 4 years ive been getting an iphone every year at a discounted price, by discounted i mean the lowest subsidized price.

my dilemma is that i currently have an iphone 4, and id like to get the 4s, but if i would be stuck with that 4s for 18 months or 2 years, id rather just wait for the next one and be stuck with that for 18 to 24 months.

and ive been seeing around that this year will be the last year that people can do the yearly upgrade, and i was wondering if that is true?

2. skywest153 macrumors member

I'm not really sure where you got it or who told you that, but quoting another source on ATTs policy:

"Upgrade eligibility is based on several factors, not only length of contract. For example, AT&T takes into account your spending level, whether you are a good customer who pays his bill on time, and how far you are into your contract to determine whether you can upgrade early."

3. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No it's a lot of people got there yearly upgrade no problem.

Others had if but then were pushed back for no reason to November.

People like me called 611 and got it back.

Others have not been so lucky.

4. vertigomhs thread starter macrumors member

every year i get the early upgrade, i dont have to wait for the date to change like a lot of people are doing now, but what im asking is if this trend of peoples dates being moved up will continue next year?

EDIT: what i heard was that instead of upgrading every 12 months like a lot of people on att with iphones do, that it would instead be 18 months after this iphone.

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

I have been reading a lot about AT&T's change in the upgrade policy, so I am assuming it is accurate. I'd like to upgrade now and use this phone for the next 18 months. Then I can decide whether to go which of the next two or three models that are released. There is always the ability to sell the previous model to cover the upgrade cost. Having AppleCare+ or Squaretrade could improve the resale price.
    The 4S definitely has the potential to be a very stable phone for a long period of time. They have had lots of time to work out the issues in the iPhone 4.

6. skywest153 macrumors member

You really need to pay attention to what people are telling you in your thread...

These early upgrades are not something "special." ATT is doing this year what they NORMALLY would do for every other customer and will continue to do. The upgrade price is based on a number of factors, including the income they make off of you on a monthly basis. If you pay more than the average joe your upgrade is expedited. If you got it this year and you don't change anything on your plan, it's safe to say you'll get it next year as well.

7. vertigomhs thread starter macrumors member

thats the thing though, i realize it isnt anything special, but earlier this year ATT changed their upgrade policy like the person above you said as well.

i dont fully understand what was changed and whether it would affect us iphone customers, all that i heard from a few people is that we would have to wait 18 months minimum from now on.

EDIT: also, im eligible for the 4s on launch day at the lowest price (199, 299, 399) but im not sure if i should save my upgrade for the next one.

8. MDF314159265 macrumors member

I've upgraded right on the 1 year mark for the last few years and I'm happy to stay an AT&T customer, so long as I can do so.
    But this afternoon, I was wondering - If Apple has been able to slash the cost of the iPhone (originally $599 and $699) to a much lower $199 and $299 (and now $399), just by selling them with a two year agreement (I won't get into the details), but if that's how Apple has been able to make this price point, wouldn't it be hurting them or the carrier if folks like me continually upgrade every year, on the year, or near it?
    In short: without the consumer fulfilling their full 24 month agreement, how is that either Apple or the carrier can make up for this price cut that should be "made up for" or "compensated for" over the life of the contract?
    Maybe the difference of $199 vs. $599 and $299 vs. $699 is being covered within just the 12 month period and anything over 12 months is just surplus?

Maybe I'm just wondering too much and over-thinking it, but does anyone else smell what I'm stepping in?:confused:

9. vertigomhs thread starter macrumors member

i get what youre saying, and thats what im thinking is the reason why im hearing that ATT changed their upgrade policy, guess they werent making as much money as they'd like.

think of it this way though, you have to sign a 2 year contract everytime you upgrade, which replaces our previous contract but at the same time its keeping us as ATT customers.