ATT 3G Coverage Expansion?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maxington, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Maxington macrumors 6502

Any ideas on a when/if ATT will continue to expand their 3G service. I currently live in WI and we only have two main coverage areas and I heard a rumor ATT may be bringing 3G to Oshkosh, WI this summer...

2. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

call them and ask, usually they will tell you. I think they have to be truthful by law =P.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Well no offense, but i think att would want to go to a larger city say maybe green bay before they go to Oshkosh. Heck appleton is a lot bigger than oshkosh, and i think that's the way att works, they want to get the bigger cities first.

4. SatanLover macrumors member

i live in a relatively small town on the central coast of california (100,000 people) and at&t has expanded its 3g coverage in the past month and now i get 3g coverage in my home

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

But the cities we are talking about here are about 50,000 people, not very big at all

6. Antitorque macrumors member

AT&T 3G coverage came to Powers Lake, WI around the 1st of the Year.

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

We are in a college town of just about 50K and 3G came online here in September.

8. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Dream on. I've called about Upstate NY roll out and they can't tell me anything, they just say soon, whatever that means.

You would think they would have a system in place to contact there customers via txt or email when they roll out in your area, but whatever I guess I ask to much.

9. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

They do have a system for that, its called your phone will now show 3G. Don't turn the 3G off, and when they have it in place your phone will switch to 3G.

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

AT&T just recently added 3G coverage to my area. I live in a small town, just barely inside the 3G coverage... whew. I get 3G just about everywhere now.

11. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Talked to an AT&T sales rep today, he said that Anchorage and other parts of AK are supposed to get it in "April". When I asked him if that was beginning or end of April he shrugged and just said sometime in April...

I hope it's soon, browsing on Edge is painful!

12. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Best place to find that info out is on howardforums.

They have a forum dedicated to 3G expansion talk. Lot's of reps browse the forums there and post updates to questions asked.

13. brandenburg macrumors newbie

The problem with Northeastern Wisconsin is that AT&T only has 1900Mhz spectrum available to it. Down south, in Madison and Milwaukee was served by both AT&T(1900) and Cingular (850), so post-merger, the 850 spectrum was reused for 3G. So, it was "easy" for them to roll out 3G.

As was mentioned by another commenter, keep an eye on Howard Forums (specifically this section http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=366 for any updates) The rumor floating around there is Q2 '09, which jives with your own summer rumor.

14. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

ATT does. They have activated 3 new 3G towers in my area recently (San Diego and Del Mar, CA) and every time they do, they send me a txt that says they recently expanded coverage in my area.

I was kind of surprised they did this.

15. iZan macrumors newbie

Just southwest of the seventh circle of hell.
    Maybe an estimate?

If you want a very rough estimate of when you'll get 3g in your area I suggest going to (edit) a population site find your city then compare it with other cities in your state. (End Edit)
    You can make a rough estimate as to your rank in population. Depending on your states "importance" it may take longer than expected.
    (I compared the populations and areas covered by 3g in my state and it would seem that higher populations were covered first. I only did a few states though.)

Note: I'm not saying this is definite, but it beats Googling for a hour and coming up empty-handed.

16. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I live in Northern Michigan, and the closest 3g site is in Detroit. According to the local AT&T representative, 3G will be coming to Traverse City soon, and then heading south down I-75 in Michigan. AT&T will likely start at the highest populated areas and then move into the lower ones.

17. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

I live in Champaign, Illinois, home of The University of Illinois and we still have no 3G. It's killing me!

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I used to only have EDGE... now we have 3G. Lemme tell you guys... from first hand experience with 3G... it isn't all that fast. Web pages still load at about the same speed as EDGE for some reason... sometimes EDGE used to be faster. However, I noticed that downloading music and apps on the iPhone are significantly faster over 3G than EDGE. Safari doesn't seem to notice the difference most of the time.

It seems like... the bigger the data files, the faster it goes... but, with simple webpages with very few images seems to load slowly. Don't ask me why, but that's what my experience is like.

19. LinMac macrumors 65816

The servers downloading the bigger files are extremely responsive and answer instantly while the servers for the simple pages are delayed by less responsive servers. There is also the whole latency vs. thoroughput arguement to think about, but all wireless will have some problems with it.